My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join in for children's book recommendations.

Children's books

How old for Stephen King? (or other scary books)

11 replies

JamAtkins · 25/10/2018 16:07

I've never read a Stephen King book so I have no idea but DD has asked if she can read one (non specific). She is just 13, in Y8, and relatively mature but is a 'reluctant reader'. Are there any Stephen King (or similar) books that are suitable for her age? I mainly mean in terms of scaring the shit out of her but also are they difficult as her reading is not great

OP posts:
PennyCrayonsCrayon · 25/10/2018 16:12

Stephen King's writing can be verrrry descriptive so she might struggle in that sense. Sometimes I find myself skimming certain chapters.

The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon might be a good start for her. I think I read that one when I was a similar age.

What about Point Horror books? Are those still a thing?

W0lverine · 25/10/2018 16:14

I read most of them from 11ish onwards. From memory I would avoid Geralds Game but i know I definitely read IT and the stand quite early on.

AgathaRaisinsCat · 25/10/2018 16:16

I wouldn't read them now but I'm a wuss.

FreakForHummous · 25/10/2018 17:00

DD (nearly 12yo) is asking to read The Shining and I've agreed but not sure how she'll find the language yet. I was reading Stephen King at the same age.

Only thing to watch out for is adult themes in some of the books.

Other books your DD might enjoy are The Demonata Series by Darren Shan, Coraline and The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman or The Point Horror books which can be picked up quite cheap on Amazon.

Martind12 · 25/10/2018 17:03

Personally think Stephen King should be left till DD is older. Whether the reading level is too difficult or not isnt really the issue. In my opinion the themes of the books can be very sinister i think for a child to read alone at night by themelseves etc.

FiveGoMadInDorset · 25/10/2018 17:29

I asked this about a month ago, same age DD, consensus was no but lots of good alternative suggestions, search for the thread

Mesmeri · 25/10/2018 17:36

From memory (haven't read any since my teens) there's a fair amount of pretty graphic sex as well as disturbing horror stuff in some Stephen King novels..

Mesmeri · 25/10/2018 17:38

Ps what about the Twilight series? Easy reading, very addictive, horror element but very much at teen level.

IAmNoAngel · 25/10/2018 17:42

Eyes of the Dragon is a good SK book to start with and was written for young teens.

JamAtkins · 26/10/2018 09:55

Thanks all. I will check out the recommendations and the other thread

OP posts:
PhilODox · 28/10/2018 09:51

I have just begun re-reads get some Stephen King (I originally read them aged 14-16) but I am shocked at how casually racist they are (n-word, "blacks", all sorts that is very shocking to me now) and also how juvenile the sex is (though obviously your DD is juvenile!)

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.