My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join in for children's book recommendations.

Children's books

The Bagthorpe Saga by Helen Cresswell

8 replies

HumphreyCobblers · 07/05/2018 21:45

I just bought Ordinary Jack to read aloud to my older two dc. I had forgotten how hilarious it was. I adored these as a child but on reading as an adult I realised that there was a lot of detail that went over my head. My own father was laughing as I read it to the kids. Grandma is an amazing character. I wish I could let my sarcasm go with the free rein showed by Mr Bagthorpe, he is brilliant. The recurring disastrous party theme is priceless.

I have also just realised that there are ten books in the series, I have only read three of them, so really looking forward to the next seven.

OP posts:
UrbaneSprawl · 08/05/2018 22:40

I’ll definitely look these up...I was vaguely aware of them as a kid, but I think I avoided her books because the TV adaptation of “Moondial” was so chuffing scary...

CMOTDibbler · 08/05/2018 22:42

I loved those as a child. The one with the competitions where they take all the labels off the tins and have to do the tin shaking thing stands out in my memory!

EBearhug · 08/05/2018 22:44

I've got quite a few of them - my mother really enjoyed them, so I wasn't quite so keen, but I do remember the tin labels. I think it was a TV series at one point, too.

GothMummy · 08/05/2018 22:44

Oh I loved these books! The dog Zero was my favourite, and the hopeless uncle!

MorbidMuch · 08/05/2018 22:59

I love the Bagthorpe Saga!

Grandma, Daisy, and 'Arry 'Awk are hilarious. My favourite ones are when they go in for competitions & try to become self-sufficient. (Absolute Zero & Bagthorpes vs. The World)

Louise56 · 09/05/2018 16:35

I remember finding the first three or four very funny. It was about the fifth one I think that I found a bit less amusing, and I gave up after the sixth I think.

HumphreyCobblers · 09/05/2018 22:08

Yes, the tin shaking! They give each other points.

Also the sign on Mr Bagthorpes study door "Little children who come unto me suffer' Grin

Really the best character is Mrs Fosdyke. Can't believe I didn't mention her in the OP.

OP posts:
MargiaStevens · 13/05/2018 20:30

I just bought Ordinary Jack to read to my 7yo, I can’t wait to give full rein to my inner Bagthorpe!!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.