My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join in for children's book recommendations.

Children's books

The Water Babies by Charles Kingsley

6 replies

PrettyCandlesAndTinselToo · 11/12/2011 23:31

Has anybody come across a modernised version of The Water Babies, probably abridged or even entirely re-written, and broken down into a series of mini novels?

Dd described reading a book which sounded like it might be a volume from such a series, but I can't find it on Amazon.

OP posts:
PrettyCandlesAndTinselToo · 12/12/2011 10:51

Bumping hopefully.

OP posts:
PrettyCandlesAndTinselToo · 12/12/2011 17:33

Surely someone knows?

OP posts:
ithaka · 12/12/2011 17:40

I haven't heard of such book - not sure why you would want it. Could you not just read DD a chapter at a time of the wonderful Water babies. I have a lovely edition with beautful illustrations by Mabel Lucy Attwell, my girls loved it.

PrettyCandlesAndTinselToo · 12/12/2011 17:59

Wow! I found it really hard going. So much so that I gave up on it when I tried reading it for myself a couple of years ago. Dd has just finished Peter Pan, but I don't see her reading Water Babies in the original.

OP posts:
ithaka · 12/12/2011 18:09

It isn't an 'easy' read, I would agree, but my girls, the older one in particular, love the surreal and whacky.

I think beautiful illustrations really help with harder books - our Alice in Wonderlandd had lovely Arthur Rackham prints.

Mabel Lucy Attwell's pictures are so lovely - I can stll picture poor Tom with his spikes. If you can find a version with pictures, maybe have another go - Mrs Doasyouwouldbedoneby and the like are priceless.

Takver · 12/12/2011 22:33

There's a 'retold' version available on amazon here - its only clear from the reviews that its retold. Might that be what your dd read?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.