My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Discuss everything related to paid childcare here, including childminders, nannies, nurseries and au pairs.

Childcare

Scottish childminders: please help me with my Care Commission self evaluation. I do not have a clue what to write in it!!

8 replies

mawbroon · 14/01/2007 20:22

Thread title says it all really. I have only been minding since September and I am finding this whole care commission thing a bit daunting. I know that this is the first year that it has been in this format, but maybe someone more experienced can help me.... please!!

OP posts:
Skribble · 14/01/2007 20:24

If you are stuck you can phone the Scottish childminding Assoc helpline for advise too.

mawbroon · 14/01/2007 20:28

Yes, I am going to do that tomorrow Skribble, but I was hoping someone might be able to kick start me this evening!

OP posts:
agalch · 15/01/2007 07:02

Hi mawbroon

Am i right in thinking you are in West Lothian? If you are we have the same development officer and i'm sure she will advise you/point you in the right direction.

Do you have a local childminders group you attend? Might be worth looking around for one.

In the meantime if theres anything specific about your evaluation you could cat me?

HTH

mawbroon · 15/01/2007 09:36

Hi Algach. Yes, I'm in West Lothian. I'm going to send her an email just now. I haven't been going to a childminders group because it just doesn't fit in with nap times and nursery and school pick ups, however two of my mindees finish on Friday and I am taking a month off, so I might be able to get along to some of the meeting then.
Re the evaluation. I have that feeling that I used to get at school when you look at a blank paper with the title on it hoping that it will go away!! I'm sure the dreading is actually worse than the doing and I just need to get my finger out of my arse and get on with it.

OP posts:
agalch · 15/01/2007 11:51

Hi again

Well i have just come back from my minding group to find my cc stuff.Will have to get my finger out too lol.God what a pain doing all that and i'm still on mat leave.Don't have an mindees either.

Oh well never mind eh?

FromGirders · 15/01/2007 11:56

If you go to the SCMA site and check out the "Rolling out the standards" part, it breaks down each standard into about a million individual questions. OK, I exagerate, but it helps to think about it in smaller bits. Bear in mind though, that some of the questions relate more to nurseries.

mawbroon · 15/01/2007 13:06

Thanks FromGirders. Will check that out later on, it sounds helpful thanks. I am minding just now so don't have a min.
Agalch did I read on another thread that your wee one is 20something weeks? I can hardly believe it was that long ago that we were talking about St Johns!!

OP posts:
mrspitt · 15/01/2007 13:25

Hiya Mawbroon
I had to fill this out in September last year and i usedthe standards to compare myself against and then used examples from my childminding experience to validate each standard to my service and aslo put in points where i thought i could improve IYKWIM. I had only been minding for about 3 weeks at that point!! When i got my inspection the officer said i had filled it out in so much detail it made her visit shorter!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.