My feed

to access all these features

Discuss everything related to paid childcare here, including childminders, nannies, nurseries and au pairs.


CM CLUB:Tax Return?

11 replies

StrawberrySnowflakes · 14/01/2007 19:24

started as childminder(sole trader) in November, have not yet even had vat reg number fomr tax place and rang them twice now, should i be filling in a tax return?????????, should i have picked one up/been sent one?? much else to think of at minute, please tell me it doesnt apply to me yet???????????

OP posts:
mogs0 · 14/01/2007 21:47

No, you won't have to do one till next time. I started in March so had to do mine based on 2 weeks worth of work!!! I'm not looking forward to next years, I have so many receipts!!!

Katymac · 14/01/2007 21:48

No VAT REG number

Childcare is not liable for VAT

Tax return (now called self assessment) will arrive april /may

Need to contact IR to declare self employment

mogs0 · 14/01/2007 21:49

You shouldn't need to be VAT registered, unless you make over £50k, I think it is. Don't quote me on that, it just something in my head that I vaguely remember being told ages ago!!!

dmo · 14/01/2007 22:46

strawberry did you only start in nov 06?
seems like you have been here 4ever

tax payments due end Jan if you worked april 05 until april 06

if you started after this then you will get info in april 07

i started in a november

ps no VAT number needed unless you do earn over 50k (u lucky thing)

Katymac · 15/01/2007 08:21

Guys even if you earn over 50K (which is not the amout it's 60 something now - I'm sure) childcare is not eligible for childrens shoes

ayla99 · 15/01/2007 10:44

Katymac is right (as always) the current threshold £61K.

If only ....

StrawberrySnowflakes · 15/01/2007 12:25

ah, thankyou, so i wont get a red letter asking for details?..i have reciepts and that(not entirely pristine and organised tho)..and yes it was nov 06 although i worked unpaid from sept to nov as my reg hadnt come through.
so i should receieve something asking me for my details this april???

OP posts:
Katymac · 15/01/2007 12:50

Only if you have registered as self employed with the IR

StrawberrySnowflakes · 15/01/2007 12:51

i am reg as self employed with IR, i did it day i became reg as cm??.when i rang re vat reg no, they said id be getting it next few weeks????

OP posts:
Katymac · 15/01/2007 12:52

You cannot be reg for VAT........childcare is exempt - promise I know

StrawberrySnowflakes · 15/01/2007 15:56

ok, i believe i can r elax until i actually hear from them???

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.