My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Discuss everything related to paid childcare here, including childminders, nannies, nurseries and au pairs.

Childcare

I'm on the hunt for a Male Nanny!

6 replies

mummysgirl1 · 09/10/2006 10:25

I am wondering if anyone can help me with a local puzzle.
When my little girl was newborn, we went to a few M+T groups in and around St Albans. I remember clearly that at one group, there was a often a guy there who with a little boy.
I thought he was his Dad at first, but when I asked around, I was told that he was actually a Nanny?!
I didn't think much of it at the time, although I was surprised. But watching him over subsequent weeks, I noticed that he didn't just sit down and chat, he actually spent most of the time following baby around, playing with him at any opportunity and also watching out for some of the other children there.
We have since moved away from St Albans, and I am now looking to return to work. I have been through some nanny agencies, and am not to impressed with the selection that is out there. My daughter loves our local M+T group, All credit to the Girls who run it! While we have been there I have been watching some of the nannies there, and they all seem to sit and chat.
My thoughts return to the spring/summer of last year, and I am wondering if anyone knows who this male nanny is, and can give me any other information on him? He was quite tall, and wore glasses I think. Chances are that he is taken, but I dont know?! My husband is surprisingly enthusiastic about the idea, and as he works away a lot, I think my daughter would really benefit from a good role model.
If you have any gossip, please tell!
lol :-) Donna

OP posts:
nannyj · 09/10/2006 10:29

Maybe it's Nannynick. He is a member on here and nannyjob.co.uk and has his own website i believe. I think he lives around the St. Albans area but don't quote me on that .

annh · 09/10/2006 11:12

Nanny Nick is based in Surrey so doubt it was him but apparently male nannies are becoming increasingly common. Have you asked the agencies if any of them have male nannies?

alibubbles · 09/10/2006 12:58

nannynick

NannyStar · 09/10/2006 16:04

Hello Donna, please ask your question on www.nannyjob.co.uk too....we have a few male nannies who come and post on there so hopefully it will be one of them......for a small fee I think you can also advertise for a nanny too!

mummysgirl1 · 09/10/2006 18:08

Thanks for your messages. We had asked a few local agencies, and the answer was no, they also charge a fee of 3-4 weeks salary as their fee. New money for old rope, and little of it!

We will continue our hunt, maybe I need to return to a few places where they were seen, and see if we have any luck that way? Maybe posting the term Spicer Street might help - that was one of the places where they were seen.

The Nanny job website looks good, but looking through I don't think his profile is there, maybe posting a question will help!

Off to serve a late tea now - little one is tugging at my leg with a hungry face!

lol, Donna

OP posts:
nannynick · 09/10/2006 19:03

Hi all, got in from a slightly dramatic day (little one ill) and of course spotted this thread immediately

Just to confirm, no I've not been to a M&T group in St.Albans recently - think I did go to an NCT meetup once that way, but it was probably at least 4 years ago!

Tall, wears glasses - hmm, does fit quite well, I'm 5'9 and wear glasses.

Finding a Male Nanny may be tricky as not many of us around. Tinies Childcare are known for having a few - I'm on their books from time to time. There is also a new agency which is due to open in London soon called SuperMannies, but alas no more info than that I'm afraid.

Probably best to just keep asking around local groups, see if anyone else has spotted a bloke with children who don't appear to be his own.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.