Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet does not check the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you're worried about the health of your chickens, please speak to a vet or qualified professional.

Worried about Speckles the chicken

SconeInSixtySeconds · 04/06/2013 09:12

She just isn't herself. I am not mobbed for mealworms. She is drinking lots, she seems all hunched up. I have had a feel of her crop and it all feels normal, could feel some corn in there yesterday afternoon, all empty this am.

She is nearly three and much beloved by the dc. I use tonic. Pellets are always made into mash. Mealworms are regularly offered. She has free roam of our pretty large garden and I don't use any chemicals.

Any ideas?

OP's posts:
Please
or

SconeInSixtySeconds · 04/06/2013 09:41

Bump.

OP's posts:
Please
or

SconeInSixtySeconds · 04/06/2013 12:12

Bumping again please can anyone help?

OP's posts:
Please
or

mummymeister · 04/06/2013 17:31

Is she egg bound? does she look like she has gape?

Please
or

SconeInSixtySeconds · 04/06/2013 18:21

Sour crop :( I don't understand. Crop was fine last night. Empty this am and full of fluid by 1.30.

I gave her a bath to help if she was egg bound and that was the point at which I realised it was sour crop. Sat and cuddled her and she was sick sitting on my knee, taken her to the vet who held her upside down (I didn't do this) and prescribed antibiotics. No more fluid that i can feel.

She has got so weak so quickly. I have tried to give her some probiotic yoghurt but she is so sleepy I am worried I will hurt her.

:( :( dc are taking turns to cuddle her in case she doesn't make it through the night.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Virgil · 04/06/2013 18:25

sorry your girl isn't well. How did you know it was sour crop?

Please
or

SconeInSixtySeconds · 04/06/2013 19:00

Her crop felt like a water balloon. When she was sick it was massively smelly and almost entirely water - just a couple of mealworms.

She's in the house now, asleep in a box. I don't expect her to be with us in the morning. :(

OP's posts:
Please
or

mummymeister · 04/06/2013 23:29

oh scone I am sorry. chickens are such fragile things really. you have done your absolute best for her. Flowers

Please
or

Virgil · 05/06/2013 00:11

They are very fragile. We lost four in the space of a few months and I still don't know why with two of them. One minute fine the next day gone. Sad

Please
or

SconeInSixtySeconds · 05/06/2013 07:16

Poor old speckles, she died at 10pm.

I now have only one chicken left so I am off to start a thread about introducing some more to my remaining girl.

Thanks for replying. :)

OP's posts:
Please
or

MummaBubba123 · 06/06/2013 07:45

Hmm
Xxx

Please
or

Hazelbrowneyes · 07/06/2013 15:37

Sorry to hear about Speckles xx

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.