Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Confused about car seat regulations? Read our reviews of baby car seats, toddler car seats and booster seats to find out which ones are worth investing in.

Size 2/3 seat with harness

PreschoolYes · 18/10/2019 16:22

My DS will need to move from the size 1 car seat in the next 6 months or so but if possible would like the next one to have a harness rather than use the seat belt.

He's autistic and a nightmare with belts like airplane seat belts etc and I think he'd really dislike the car seat belt in a high back booster.

Does any one use a bigger seat still with a harness?

OP's posts:
Please
or

dementedpixie · 18/10/2019 16:32

Depends on his weight as the harness only does up to certain weight -18kg or 25kg I think depending on the seat and whether its rear or forward facing

Please
or

PreschoolYes · 18/10/2019 17:34

I'd want one going up to 25kg, he's about 15/16kg now.

OP's posts:
Please
or

BertieBotts · 18/10/2019 19:05

Yes you can get one like that. Do you want a forward facing one? There are only four on the UK market at the moment. You'll need top tether in your car for 3 of them: Joie Bold, Diono Radian 5, Cozy n Safe Excalibur. Of the three I have a slight preference for Joie Bold. If you don't have top tether, you can get the Maxi-Cosi Beryl, but it's much more expensive than the others as it's only just come out.

If you're interested in the idea of rear facing you've got a much wider choice, but the seats are more expensive.

Please
or

BertieBotts · 18/10/2019 19:07

How to tell if you have top tether:

www.goodeggcarsafety.com/blog/what-is-a-top-tether.html

Please
or

PreschoolYes · 18/10/2019 19:21

Thank you @BertieBotts that's really helpful. I had read about the Beryl as we currently have a maxi cosi.

OP's posts:
Please
or

bobstersmum · 18/10/2019 19:53

It's called a 123 seat isn't it? Usually you use with the harness first then remove the harness when not needed so it becomes a 23 seat?

Please
or
Please
or

BertieBotts · 18/10/2019 19:57

Bobstersmum unfortunately no, with those seats the harness is removed at 18kg and the OP needs to harness longer than this. So a 123 seat won't be suitable in this case.

Please
or

BertieBotts · 18/10/2019 19:59

Can't get your link to load - but a standard 123 seat, in any case :) You need a specific one if you want to harness past 18kg.

Please
or

AlaskaWaves · 21/10/2019 20:59

We have a diono radian 5 which can have the harness up to 25kg, either forward or rear facing.
I think it's great! However it's very heavy and took bloody ages to set it all up and put it in my car the first time. But now I know how to do it, it's fine!
The only negative about the seat itself is that it doesn't have a removable/washable cover so I also bought a waterproof insert just in case!

Please
or

PreschoolYes · 23/10/2019 13:32

Many thanks @AlaskaWaves it's good to know you like it.

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.