Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Confused about car seat regulations? Read our reviews of baby car seats, toddler car seats and booster seats to find out which ones are worth investing in.

Car seats in vans (newborn)

millymally · 11/04/2019 08:42

Me and my partner have a two seater small van as our only vehicle (for our business).

Our first baby is due in June and as far as I can tell we have a few options:

1. Get a three seater van where the seats are all across the front (transit style). I know the airbag/s would have to be removed (or disassembled - not too good on car technical words!) but would this be safe otherwise?

2. Get a bigger van that has a row of seats behind the front two passenger seats (this would be much bigger to drive than I'm used to but I'm sure I could figure it out!)

3. Get a big estate car type thing and hope the back has enough room for the stuff we need to cart around!

Has anyone had experience of putting a car seat in a van? Is it safe? Particularly with a newborn baby? Drive wise we're looking at between 1 - 4 hour journeys twice a week max.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
OP's posts:
Please
or

princessbear80 · 11/04/2019 08:50

As long as the airbags are turned off, and there is space to properly fit the car seat in the correct way, I think you’ll be fine. My partner has a car seat in his van, but we’ve only used it since DS turned one for nursery drop offs, so no experience of newborn car seats in a van. For long journeys you’ll need to break them up as four hours is too long for a newborn.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.