My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find baby name inspiration and advice on the Mumsnet Baby Names forum.

Baby names

Boys name help - middle names chosen

14 replies

Wineisalwaysagoodidea · 11/02/2024 06:56

Our surname is Wood - middle names will definitely be Allan or James (order doesn’t matter)

We like:
Barney
Jude
Marty

Even then, still not sure. Thankfully only halfway through my pregnancy so still got a while to find the name that just sounds right. Thanks

OP posts:
oldnorsesaga · 11/02/2024 08:22

None sound right
Imagine this: Barney Allan Wood or Marty Allan Wood. They sound like middle aged guys
I think Jude James Wood is the best. If you want to use Allan, I don't think any of the three names sound good, plus none of three (Marty, Barney and Jude) sound good with surname Wood even without the middle.

I you want something that sound good, my recommendation would be longer names or more substantial name like Frederick Allan Wood or Maxwell James Wood.

Onelife2024 · 11/02/2024 08:32

From your choices I quite like Marty if short for Martin. Martin James Wood sounds nice.

Jude is quite nice too, but it sounds a bit clunky with your surname and you couldn’t have Allan as a middle name as the initials would spell jaw! Jude James Wood is ok but a bit of a mouthful!

I’m not keen on Barney, sorry, for some reason I think of dinosaurs or Barney Rubble.

Other ideas -

Matty (short for Matthew)
Monty
Harvey
Jasper
Eli
Freddie

Wineisalwaysagoodidea · 11/02/2024 09:17

Thanks, @oldnorsesaga & @Onelife2024 - appreciate the opinions. I thought Jude Wood sounded cool, so another perspective always welcomed.

The middle names will be listed on the birth certificate and for family reasons, we can’t/wont deviate from them.

First name doesn’t really need to go with the middle names per se, so maybe I’ve made the post confusing by even mentioning them. Just name suggestions needed to go with Wood.

OP posts:
Nicebloomers · 11/02/2024 09:20

Jude Allan from your list.

I would probably do the longer versions of Barney and Marty so that have a choice of a formal/ casual option later in life. Martin is very underused if you prefer an uncommon name.

Maireas · 11/02/2024 09:20

Jude Wood doesn't sound right. It's oo-oo.
Jonas Wood? or
Casper, Josiah, Ruben, Matthew, Ethan?

WaltzingWaters · 11/02/2024 09:21

Jude for sure

Wineisalwaysagoodidea · 11/02/2024 09:46

Is it just me or is choosing a girls name so much easier?

OP posts:
rainbowstardrops · 11/02/2024 09:47

I love the name Jude and I think Jude Wood sounds fine!

Notellinganyone · 11/02/2024 09:57

Barney.

Onelife2024 · 11/02/2024 10:23

Wineisalwaysagoodidea · 11/02/2024 09:17

Thanks, @oldnorsesaga & @Onelife2024 - appreciate the opinions. I thought Jude Wood sounded cool, so another perspective always welcomed.

The middle names will be listed on the birth certificate and for family reasons, we can’t/wont deviate from them.

First name doesn’t really need to go with the middle names per se, so maybe I’ve made the post confusing by even mentioning them. Just name suggestions needed to go with Wood.

Jude Wood is actually growing on me now - I like it!

Mumofgirls2017 · 11/02/2024 10:36

Jude, then middle name have to be Allan.

zump · 11/02/2024 10:40

Jude Wood sounds too short/harsh to me. But if you like Jude, what about Julian or Julius and then you could use Jude as a nickname, but with the potential to use the longer name if he prefers it?

MerryChristmasToYou · 11/02/2024 11:01

Leave the middle name out, both are fine.
Jude Wood sounds a bit strange, a bit like Jedward.
Marty sounds like a 1950s name.
I prefer Barnaby to Barney.

MaloneMeadow · 11/02/2024 13:15

I really love Jude, but Jude Wood rhymes and just doesn’t sound right

Both Barney & Marty are too childish for when he grows up

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.