My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find baby name inspiration and advice on the Mumsnet Baby Names forum.

Baby names

Names you've stopped yourself from using

35 replies

Zipadeebooyah · 25/01/2023 13:28

When pregnant with my son I flirted with the idea of calling him Kerouac after the writer Jack Kerouac. We didn't go with Jack as he has a cousin very close in age with that name.

I stopped myself from calling him Kerouac and stuck with a sensible name which I also love.

I'm pregnant again and still considering Kerouac if it's another boy! My sensible side will win through. Especially as the name would sound daft next to his brother's traditional name.

Which names have you been very tempted to use but stopped yourself?

OP posts:
marthasmum · 25/01/2023 22:49

I liked Lucien for all of mine - I knew a lovely Lucien once! I had two boys but couldn’t quite bring myself to use it as I thought maybe they’d get teased.

BigPurpleArm · 25/01/2023 22:52

Marigold (nickname Goldie )
Tigerlily
Silver
Coco
Meadow

For boys:
Darwin
Edmund
Skandar
Skye
Cyrus
Knox
Indigo

I have two DC with very mainstream traditional names 😂

IbizaToTheNorfolkBroads · 25/01/2023 22:53

Isis - fortunately DH has his finger on the pulse of current affairs more than me.

Lorelli - German friend told me the story of the Lorelei when I was really pregnant and I decided against it.

Evelyn - my GM's name, but DH is called Adam

Isambard - I still would have liked this. DH put his foot down. MW had never heard of it. DS is known by an abbreviation of his very ordinary name, which could come from Isambard. I still regret not fighting harder for it.

ChildrenOfTheQuorn · 25/01/2023 23:01

Andromeda - I just couldn't do that to a little girl.

Snugglemonkey · 25/01/2023 23:03

Zipadeebooyah · 25/01/2023 22:37

@Snugglemonkey how do you pronounce that?

Like Sive. It rhymes with 5.

OgdensGoneNutFlake · 25/01/2023 23:26

We VERY nearly ended up with a Baxter and a Finegan.

Thought better of it and now have 2 quite mainstream boys names that wouldn't look out of place on a WW1 war memorial.

Zipadeebooyah · 26/01/2023 04:18

marthasmum · 25/01/2023 22:49

I liked Lucien for all of mine - I knew a lovely Lucien once! I had two boys but couldn’t quite bring myself to use it as I thought maybe they’d get teased.

Absolutely love this name!

OP posts:
LHReturns · 26/01/2023 04:47

Tallulah

Twoinapod · 26/01/2023 07:26

When pregnant with DD1 her dad wanted to use Dexter if she was a boy, he was really into the Dexter series. Aside from it being about a serial killer, my side of the family has a lot of ginger haired, glasses wearers with a large chance of buck teeth.

All I could think was there’s a good chance that kid will end up like this guy.

Names you've stopped yourself from using
ITriedToStopSwearingButICunt · 26/01/2023 10:36

Nico -loved it but we have zero Italian heritage which I think would’ve been the assumption. Baby has also ended up blonde haired and blue eyed so I don’t think it would’ve suited him at all

I know 2 Nico's... both are German and blond!

We nearly called DS Dexter, but DH got cold feet. Even though Dexter is now famous as the name of a fictional serial killer, I still think it's a cool name!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.