Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Antenatal/postnatal depression

Breastfeeding and mental health?

2 replies

marshkat · 14/09/2012 19:51

I have suffered with mental health problems for a long time, i met the midwife yesterday as im now 12 weeks, we talked about lots but im really not sure i want to breast feed, in fact its making me anxious just thinking about it. Midwife told me to look on line about mental health and breast feeding, but i cant find anythink. Any advice or what do you think? x

OP posts:
Please
or

Mylittlepuds · 14/09/2012 20:52

Made me worse I think. I suffered terribly with PND (anxiety) after birth of DS. I think breastfeeding was just too much strain on my body. There are studies to suggest that a lack of omega 3 and other trace vitamins and minerals can cause PND and breastfeeding will only deplete you further if you don't have an A grade diet. However - in the dark early days breastfeeding would give me a slight boost during a feed, making me feel calmer, due to the hormone released.

Please
or

Mylittlepuds · 14/09/2012 20:54

I should add though if I hadn't have breastfed due to my anxiety the guilt would have been so intense that I might have been worse off. It was a 'positive' I clung to. Give it a go :) and see what happens. Good luck :) x

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?