Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

In praise of early mornings

66 replies

crochetmonkey74 · 25/01/2024 15:06

I have a really busy and overwhelming job - and I am currently also halfway through a major personal project (recovering from trauma, weight loss and rebuilding my life) It's going well and I feel very positive.
I find I really need regenerating time, and evenings just weren't cutting it (my mind would still race from the day) I have gradually found myself getting up earlier and earlier and really enjoying it. I get up at 5am, slowly wander the house with a cuppa, maybe read a bit, put some laundry on etc. I try not to fill it with too many jobs like packing my lunch etc, I try to keep it as proper me time It's so nice. I leave the house to go to the gym for 6.30 and then off to work. It does mean I'm normally ready for bed by 9pm but I love it. If you are an early bird, what do you do and do you also love it?

OP posts:
GertrudePerkinsPaperyThing · 25/01/2024 15:08

I wish I was wired for early mornings. I’m just not. I find the most refreshing and rejuvenating thing for me is to take some time to myself in the evening and get up later.

It doesn’t work the other way around.

Im talking about a scenario where I work the same amount but push everything back slightly.

Drosera · 25/01/2024 15:10

I get up at 05:30 for work and don't love it tbh. 😂 Well, maybe in the summer sometimes.

I always feel constrained having to go to bed when most people are still up. But I like my job and hated office work so I put up with it.

StonwEd · 25/01/2024 15:11

Yes I’m the same, I do this as well. I have no issues going to bed at 9pm in order to do so either 😂
can’t wait for the mornings to get light, I’d be out running by 6 if it was lighter

crochetmonkey74 · 25/01/2024 15:12

I know what you mean about going to bed early- especially in the summer- it feels melancholy like being a child and hearing everything still going on outside- but in the darker colder months nothing gives me more joy than an early night!

OP posts:
Mumaway · 25/01/2024 15:13

I like to get up before the DCs so I can have a shower without an audience and coffee by myself. I get grumpy if they decide to get up early. I just want quiet

crochetmonkey74 · 25/01/2024 15:15

Mumaway · 25/01/2024 15:13

I like to get up before the DCs so I can have a shower without an audience and coffee by myself. I get grumpy if they decide to get up early. I just want quiet

one of my other joys is getting somewhere to meet a friend- but get there early to have some lovely time by myself to read my book- apart from last time, my friend had done the same so we were both a bit grumpy with each other! 😀

OP posts:
garlictwist · 25/01/2024 15:15

I have always been a lark. I'm always up by 5. I usually get a huge cup of tea and read for an hour with the fairy lights on in winter or out in the garden with a blanket in the summer. I am rubbish in the evenings though!

HarlanPepper · 25/01/2024 15:17

I'm up at 5 every day. Mornings are me time.

OneTC · 25/01/2024 15:19

I'm a seasonal morning person, I like waking up when it starts to get light and sleep with the curtains open. I always go to bed after midnight though and in winter because I don't start work until later I stay in bed until 9am and go to sleep around 3am

minipie · 25/01/2024 15:20

YABU

(An evening person)

crochetmonkey74 · 25/01/2024 15:22

garlictwist · 25/01/2024 15:15

I have always been a lark. I'm always up by 5. I usually get a huge cup of tea and read for an hour with the fairy lights on in winter or out in the garden with a blanket in the summer. I am rubbish in the evenings though!

ooh I love the garden idea

OP posts:
EmpressaurusOfTheScathingTinsel · 25/01/2024 15:25

I get up around 6 three mornings a week to go to the gym. I’ve got most energy then.

My cats now assume that 6am is always getting-up time though.

FrederickTrottersville · 25/01/2024 15:28

You have cheered my day, what a soothing post ❤️

afkonholidaynearleek · 25/01/2024 15:31

I got up at 6:20am the other day and went downstairs, made myself a coffee and read my book until DC got up. It was bliss. I prefer it in midsummer compared to January, but the silence is wonderful.

stealthninjamum · 25/01/2024 15:36

I’m a night owl but I do feel that on the rare day when I do get up at 5/6 my whole day runs more smoothly. I’ll be able to empty the dishwasher, put washing on, maybe cut some veg for dinner, do my online order / meal plan or tidy up. I can listen to music or a podcast with earplugs so I don’t wake dc up. I should make an effort to do it more often but I hate getting out of bed.

Yestodessertplease · 25/01/2024 15:40

Another early morning person here. I especially love Saturday and Sunday mornings when I have my first cup of coffee downstairs on my own enjoying the peace and quiet without any work or school run to go to!

I'm also going to do the garden and blanket idea in the summer - much more uplifting than sitting indoors with the breakfast news on.

AllProperTeaIsTheft · 25/01/2024 15:46

I like being up early at the weekend (say 7a.m.) before anyone else is up. I make myself a cup of tea and sit in the living room knitting or crocheting with the dog for company.

I get up at 6:40 on work days. That is early enough to start my working day. I certainly wouldn't want to be up any earlier. If I did, I'd have to go to bed earlier!

catelynjane · 25/01/2024 15:52

I love mornings but I couldn't get up at 5am to enjoy them.

DH is out before me during the week so I get an hour everyday where it's just me and I love it. We don't have DC but I still love that time where I can just gather my thoughts and wake up before work.

5128gap · 25/01/2024 15:54

I used to do this and think I was an early bird. Then I realised it was peri menopause. Now that's out of the way I'm back to struggling to get up and when left to my own devices would get up no earlier than 8am and go to bed at midnight. I miss the early mornings though. Especially the summer ones when it's all misty and feels full of promise.

Delatron · 25/01/2024 15:58

I am jealous as I am a frustrated night owl who is bored in the evening - wants to go to bed early and get up early but I can’t. I’m finally in a deep sleep between 5-7 (my watch tells me this) so would be detrimental to go against this. Going to bed early doesn’t work.

Jet lag (one way) is amazing. I would wake up feeling refreshed at 5.30am and fall asleep at 9! Unfortunately nothing was open at that time. But I enjoyed my coffee watching the sun come up. It’s a lovely thing to get up early. But sadly not for me. I feel like I’ve been clubbed over the head normally if I wake at 5am!

Delatron · 25/01/2024 15:59

My natural body clock is also stuck at ideally 12-8 though I fight this and aim to do 11.30-7/7.30.

ArseInTheCoOpWindow · 25/01/2024 16:02

I always feel shit all day if l get up before 7. I’ve been like this since about 18. No one else seems to get this like me.

Perfectwallpaper · 25/01/2024 16:04

I love a early morning. I slip out of bed and leave Mr P to sleep. Enjoy a cuppa and a read of my book in a silent house. If i am minded to get things done - I can power through and get a whole host of chores, admin or gardening done. Then I am set up for a super productive day.

windyworriednight · 25/01/2024 16:12

I am a complete night owl and would just love to be a morning person. I don’t know why I can’t just shift my routine a couple of hours forward but I can’t.

Lurkingandlearning · 25/01/2024 16:15

I’m an early bird. Then every now and then I’ll sleep until 9/10 am and it feels wonderful, sort of like a holiday.
Although I wake early on holiday too so perhaps I’m thinking of someone else’s holiday

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.