My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To ask how you know if labour has started or is near?

14 replies

heyduggee12345 · 14/01/2024 12:10

I'm only 33 weeks, but the past few days I have had cramps, tightenings and the most awful lower back pain. I'm also feeling an insane amount of pressure down there between my legs, I can barely walk properly at times.

The back pain at the minute is really, really sore though and this morning I was sick which was really odd as I haven't had sickness during this pregnancy. Also TMI but I've had some diarrhoea also.

I just feel really out of sorts and I can't quite put my finger on it.

I never had this with my first pregnancy and I was induced then so don't really know what it feels like to go in labour on my own naturally or what the signs could be beforehand.

Is this normal? I'm thinking it's just uncomfortable because I'm getting near the end but I'm not sure.

OP posts:
LegoDeathTrap · 14/01/2024 12:14

You might have a tummy bug, or things might be moving along. I’d be prepared just in case. You’ll know in a day or two either way.

BluJanuary · 14/01/2024 12:15

I had very mild cramping during the night. It was so mild that I thought nothing of it (being only 38+6 I thought I still had a while to go!) went about my day. Then waters suddenly broke in public! That's when I knew. No signs until about 12 hours before baby was actually born (which were so mild that I thought was just pregnancy pains!)

heyduggee12345 · 14/01/2024 12:15

LegoDeathTrap · 14/01/2024 12:14

You might have a tummy bug, or things might be moving along. I’d be prepared just in case. You’ll know in a day or two either way.

Starting to panic now as still have things to get ready for baby 😩 I really hope it is just a tummy bug!

OP posts:
heyduggee12345 · 14/01/2024 12:18

BluJanuary · 14/01/2024 12:15

I had very mild cramping during the night. It was so mild that I thought nothing of it (being only 38+6 I thought I still had a while to go!) went about my day. Then waters suddenly broke in public! That's when I knew. No signs until about 12 hours before baby was actually born (which were so mild that I thought was just pregnancy pains!)

Edited

38 weeks I would feel less panicked but 33 weeks feels way too early 😭

OP posts:
LegoDeathTrap · 14/01/2024 12:23

heyduggee12345 · 14/01/2024 12:15

Starting to panic now as still have things to get ready for baby 😩 I really hope it is just a tummy bug!

Just in case, I’d get the main things sorted now: hospital bag, carrycot the baby can sleep in, carseat, childcare for the older one. These things will be needed in a few weeks anyway. The rest can wait.

Ifhappylittlebluebirdsfly222 · 14/01/2024 12:34

It was 7 years ago for me but I remember back pain, diarrhoea and also starting to lose the mucus plug were signs of labour. I was overdue though, and feeling contractions in my back because of the way my baby was positioned.

I think you should call the number for the midwives and see what they advise.

Haveyouanyjam · 14/01/2024 12:38

I’ve had the same. This is my second baby and I’m now almost 36 weeks but had this from 34 weeks and no sign of baby, so I wouldn’t worry. It probably is your body preparing and there’s no harm in getting stuff ready, but I wouldn’t panic. By all means call your midwife if you’re concerned.

MrsSlocombesCat · 14/01/2024 12:38

LegoDeathTrap · 14/01/2024 12:23

Just in case, I’d get the main things sorted now: hospital bag, carrycot the baby can sleep in, carseat, childcare for the older one. These things will be needed in a few weeks anyway. The rest can wait.

If a baby is born at 33 weeks it’s going to be spending some time in an incubator anyway so I don’t think those things will be needed. Sounds more like a tummy bug to me, there’s a lot of it about.

FUPAgirl · 14/01/2024 12:43

You should get checked by a midwife tomorrow. It could be a UTI, which can lead to pre term labour. Keep a close eye, any contractions and you need to ring the hospital immediately.

yarnwitch · 14/01/2024 13:12

Everything you describe could indeed be labour. Ring labour ward for advice, they might want to pop you on a monitor. It could just be a bug, but being only 33 weeks I think you definitely need checking. Keep an eye on movements too.

heyduggee12345 · 14/01/2024 18:04

The pains in my back are really uncomfortable. Surely it's not labour and it's just the fact I'm getting close to the end? He can't be coming yet!

OP posts:
yarnwitch · 14/01/2024 18:52

Yes it could be, as I said earlier please get checked. Pregnancy can also mask UTI's and kidney infections - which can also present the symptoms you describe and can be serious if left. A check over by your midwife or the hospital would definitely be advisable, or at the very least a call to labour ward for advice.

SecondHandFurniture · 14/01/2024 18:55

Phone whatever number the midwife gave you. In a similar situation I was checked and it turned out my waters had broken (slowly) so I had to go in for induction within 24 hours.

sparepantsandtoothbrush · 14/01/2024 18:56

heyduggee12345 · 14/01/2024 18:04

The pains in my back are really uncomfortable. Surely it's not labour and it's just the fact I'm getting close to the end? He can't be coming yet!

It definitely could be labour and you need to call your midwife even if its just so they can say it's nothing to be concerned about

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.