My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

TV is not convincing at all ( fiction, drama etc )

13 replies

ILove2024Already · 04/01/2024 23:53

Is it just my brain or does anyone else find it hard to really believe drama on TV these days and fiction? I have been watching a lot of TV after an op and it's been lovely, some really good stuff but none of it have I truly felt like I was immersed in it. Am I just old and no longer able to be sucked in? The only series I've watched which is an exception and really got me completely obsessed was The Capture but otherwise it all falls a bit flat. I have just started Fool Me Once and it seems very good to be fair so hoping this might be the next exception but then I love Michelle Keegan and Joanne Lumley so was always going to like this...

Yabu - loads of good dramas ( reccomend please! )
Yanbu - I agree ( please tell me why this is happening with TV at the moment! )

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

6 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
33%
You are NOT being unreasonable
67%
sparepantsandtoothbrush · 04/01/2024 23:57

If you're expecting Fool me Once to wow you then I'd stop watching now. It was ok but nothing amazing

cocoloco117 · 04/01/2024 23:58

Why don’t you switch off your TV set and do something less boring instead?

lljkk · 05/01/2024 00:01

It's compressed pseudo-realistic fables. And yes, there are better things to do with your time.

KarenNotAKaren · 05/01/2024 00:01

This is why I prefer drama adaptations of RL stories - like the recent Mr Bates vs The Post Office

After years of people recommending it I watched Dr Foster recently. What a load of melodramatic old shite. What bothered me most is the bloke who had the adoring wife ready to forgive him AND had the 21yo trophy GF, was at best quite unattractive and had no redeemable qualities. If you expect me to believe Jodie Comer and Surranne Jones - both gorgeous women - are fighting over a bloke at least make him attractive

ILove2024Already · 05/01/2024 00:02

I would love to but recovering from an operation and so limited, I thought indulging in TV for a bit would be a pleasure as I rarely get a chance to keep up.with a series but it's been a bit disappointing! Gavin and Stacey repeats never let me down

OP posts:
KarenNotAKaren · 05/01/2024 00:03

Also Suranne Jones’s character was totally ridiculous. Why would you go to such lengths to plot and twist to catch out your cheating husband, at the expense of the wellbeing of your child, rather than just saying “I know about your affair BTW”

justhadenoughofitall · 05/01/2024 00:03

I'm watching The Tourist season 2.

What a load of plot hole tripe

ILove2024Already · 05/01/2024 00:04

KarenNotAKaren · 05/01/2024 00:01

This is why I prefer drama adaptations of RL stories - like the recent Mr Bates vs The Post Office

After years of people recommending it I watched Dr Foster recently. What a load of melodramatic old shite. What bothered me most is the bloke who had the adoring wife ready to forgive him AND had the 21yo trophy GF, was at best quite unattractive and had no redeemable qualities. If you expect me to believe Jodie Comer and Surranne Jones - both gorgeous women - are fighting over a bloke at least make him attractive

Someone reccomended this to me! I might have to give it a watch now. At the moment I've been knitting along with these dramas so not very immersed but I was told this would make me put my knitting down😂Never seen Dr Foster but LOVE both actresses, might swerve it though haha

OP posts:
Yesyoucant · 05/01/2024 00:07

Just watched Beef on Netflix. Far fetched in bits plot wise, but very engaging with some great acting. Also an underlying emotional message that if you've ever had those mental struggles of adulthood, it might just resonate.

Dr Foster was marginally better than a soap....

custardlover · 05/01/2024 00:07

Why don't you!

Gosh, massive flashbacks...

Gowlett · 05/01/2024 00:09

I’ve seen no TV shows since 2000-ish (Friends)
So, I haven’t seen any of the big cultural hits…

Never had Netflix, or any package.
No water cooler moments for me!

Don’t think I’m missing anything.
Not against telly, just don’t like sitting down.

Yesyoucant · 05/01/2024 00:09

Also wouldn't normally watch wildlife type stuff but Wild Scandinavia on BBC 2 right now is some watch....thinking of visiting the very North of Norway now!

KingsleyBorder · 05/01/2024 00:10

ILove2024Already · 05/01/2024 00:02

I would love to but recovering from an operation and so limited, I thought indulging in TV for a bit would be a pleasure as I rarely get a chance to keep up.with a series but it's been a bit disappointing! Gavin and Stacey repeats never let me down

It was a joke, for those who remember the kids’ show “Why don’t you?”

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.