Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

AIBU To Think Joey Maynard (Of Chalet School Fame) Was Insufferable

723 replies

TheShellBeach · 28/12/2022 17:11

.............with her eleven children, infuriating husband and bizarre tendency to move house (and country) to live next door to the school her sister inexplicably started when Joey was a child.

She also managed to write (at least) two books a year, have a series of multiple pregnancies and poke her nose into the Chalet School's business on a daily basis.

OP posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

CoffeeBoy · 28/12/2022 17:13

I think most of them were to be honest. Also a bit dodgy with the doctors marrying students immediately out of sixth form, was Joey still at school when she was seeing Jack?

Please
or

fancyacuppatea · 28/12/2022 17:13

She's probably why Insta was invented.

Please
or

TheShellBeach · 28/12/2022 17:15

CoffeeBoy · 28/12/2022 17:13

I think most of them were to be honest. Also a bit dodgy with the doctors marrying students immediately out of sixth form, was Joey still at school when she was seeing Jack?

Allegedly not. They got together in Exile when they escaped from Austria after the Anschluss.

OP posts:
Please
or

CoffeeBoy · 28/12/2022 17:16

Hmmm I seem to remember her swooning into his arms before then but maybe they weren’t actually dating, just another of her fainting fits!

Please
or

PlaitBilledDuckyPuss · 28/12/2022 17:19

Yay, new Chalet Thread 😃

Please
or

Persipan · 28/12/2022 17:26

I for one feel that it's perfectly reasonable to manage all those things, to the extent that I'd chuck in another five or so adopted/fostered children just to fill my spare time.

Please
or

Solasum · 28/12/2022 17:27

Can anyone point me towards more PDF versions than those that appear on Faded Page?

Please
or

QuaterMiss · 28/12/2022 17:28

PlaitBilledDuckyPuss · 28/12/2022 17:19

Yay, new Chalet Thread 😃

Please
or

FelicityBeedle · 28/12/2022 17:34

Oh she was bloody awful, and Jack drugging her whenever she dared show an emotion!

Please
or

Rogue1001MNer · 28/12/2022 17:57

Joey pales into insignificance compared to Madge

Please
or

surreygirl1987 · 28/12/2022 18:12

I adored her when reading the books as a kid, at least until she left school. She definitely got more and more weird and annoying the older she got!

Please
or

TheShellBeach · 28/12/2022 18:12

Solasum · 28/12/2022 17:27

Can anyone point me towards more PDF versions than those that appear on Faded Page?

Yes, if you give me a few minutes..........

OP posts:
Please
or

TheShellBeach · 28/12/2022 18:15

This reply has been withdrawn

This message has been withdrawn at the poster's request

Please
or

TheShellBeach · 28/12/2022 18:17

Rogue1001MNer · 28/12/2022 17:57

Joey pales into insignificance compared to Madge

Oh, I think Madge was relatively normal in comparison with Joey.
Her children were more spaced out (in every way).

OP posts:
Please
or

keepaweatheredeye · 28/12/2022 18:20

Joey was ok. Mary poxy Lou, on the other hand.......

Please
or

TheShellBeach · 28/12/2022 18:20

Persipan · 28/12/2022 17:26

I for one feel that it's perfectly reasonable to manage all those things, to the extent that I'd chuck in another five or so adopted/fostered children just to fill my spare time.

...........yes, and forget about some of them occasionally. Marie-Claire appears for ten seconds in one book, is adopted by Joey, never to be mentioned again.

It's like Joey (or EBD) completely forgot about her.

OP posts:
Please
or

TinselAngel · 28/12/2022 18:58

Does anybody on these threads actually enjoy EBD's work? They always seem so critical.

Please
or

TheShellBeach · 28/12/2022 19:01

TinselAngel · 28/12/2022 18:58

Does anybody on these threads actually enjoy EBD's work? They always seem so critical.

Absolutely not. She was a terrible writer.
We just like to bitch about how ridiculous her plots and characters are - not to mention the way she failed to keep track of her characters' names, spouses, ages and just about everything else that happens in the books.

OP posts:
Please
or

TheShellBeach · 28/12/2022 19:03

However - I now own an almost complete set of the GGB CS publications, to my shame.
Grin

In my "useful information for my executors" file, I have pointed out to my children that my CS book collection is actually quite valuable, and not to either throw them all out or give them to charity shops.

OP posts:
Please
or

KohlaParasaurus · 28/12/2022 19:11

The adult Joey was the entire catalogue of Friends all on her own. You knew it was drivel but kept going back to find out what improbable thing was going to happen next. (The Austria phase of the books dragged me in and got me hooked, they were so foreign and exciting and not at all badly written.)

Please
or

MissyB1 · 28/12/2022 19:34

Things went downhill in the Swiss years, I largely blame Joey for that!

Please
or

lieselotte · 28/12/2022 19:40

Yeah a new thread. I have been steadily working through all the Dropbox books and am about to start to A Future Chalet Girl.

Please
or

EmpressaurusOfWitchesBackFromTheDead · 28/12/2022 19:41

Thanks for the new thread!

Tinsel, next time we have an IRL meet up we can enlighten everyone on what they’ve been missing.

Please
or

icanwearwhatiwant · 28/12/2022 19:59

Oh I loved Jo and read every Chalet school book I could get my hands on. I desperately wanted to be "delicate" like her. I never was though, not in the slightest 😣

Please
or

TinselAngel · 28/12/2022 20:28

However - I now own an almost complete set of the GGB CS publications, to my shame.
Why be ashamed? I don't think she was a terrible writer. Granted the CS should probably have stopped after the first few Swiss books when she ran out of ideas, but you can't read something like Lorna at Wynyards or the Chalet School in Exile (or most of the Chalets before that) and think she was terrible.

Please
or