Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

AIBU to ask for advice re period delaying tablets

16 replies

LuckySantangelo35 · 18/10/2022 11:17

hello!

I am trying to get some period delaying tablets as I go on holiday next month and do not want to have my period then. Part of the reason behind this is i get excruciating period pains (possible endometriosis but not formally diagnosed). The nhs no longer give these tablets out. Please can anyone advise as to where and how I can get such tablets?

Also are there any tablets people know of which work best and/or have the least side effects?

Thanks so much

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

0 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
0%
You are NOT being unreasonable
0%
Mapleapple · 18/10/2022 11:21

I think you are talking about Norethisterone. Boots and Superdrug have an online service for these. You will need to have a discussion with someone before buying. I can’t help with side effects, due to my medical history I was advised against them.

Mushroo · 18/10/2022 11:22

you could just buy the morning after pill from the pharmacy. It will delay ovulation and therefore delay your period.

fluffyblanketdays · 18/10/2022 11:23

I have purchased Norethisterone from superdrug online pharmacy. It's very easy to do and is still prescribed by a doctor (you fill out a questionnaire, I presume you will be contacted if further information is needed). I have never had any problems with Norethisterone beyond some mild cramps on day 1 of use but I know that it can vary between individuals.

EmmaGrundyForPM · 18/10/2022 11:25

Norethisterone is brilliant. I've bought it online before.
Have a great holiday!

LlamasSitOnPyjamas · 18/10/2022 11:27

Ive bought from Boots online pharmacy and had it delivered. No side effects for me

CosmopolitanPlease · 18/10/2022 11:34

I had very bad side effects the last time I used norethisterone- if you do a search there are lots of threads where women experienced the same. They can completely ruin a holiday by causing pmt type symptoms and anxiety. Or you might have no side effects as I did the first two occasions I used it. Depends if you think it's worth the risk.

LuckySantangelo35 · 18/10/2022 11:36

CosmopolitanPlease · 18/10/2022 11:34

I had very bad side effects the last time I used norethisterone- if you do a search there are lots of threads where women experienced the same. They can completely ruin a holiday by causing pmt type symptoms and anxiety. Or you might have no side effects as I did the first two occasions I used it. Depends if you think it's worth the risk.

@CosmopolitanPlease

it’s hard to weigh up isn’t it

thought I get pmt / anxiety anyway!

OP posts:
kaymc3 · 18/10/2022 11:36

Norethisterone or Provera - I have used both and got both from online pharmacies. Never had any side effects from either x

MRSE20 · 18/10/2022 11:46

I used Norethisterone that I purchased from Boots pharmacy (had to do an online referral)

I was worried about the side effects but I didn’t have any and they worked for me. Some people get side effects though. I guess just weigh it up and go from there

emmathedilemma · 18/10/2022 11:56

I've had them from Lloyds chemist in the past - ordered online and had to do a little consultation thing with the pharmacist when I picked them up. I'd previously had them from my GP but that was a number of years ago and I'd left it too late to get an appointment, hence using Lloyds.

Deliaskis · 18/10/2022 12:01

I've used norethisterone in the past, and it was a bit challenging for me. The whole time I was taking them I was in an indefinite suspended PMT type situ, and was also spotting throughout, so the impact it had on the thing I was doing (long distance walk over several days) was still a factor, although clearly not flooding and cramps like my usual bad days.

liveforsummer · 18/10/2022 12:03

I've used it loads of times and the only side affect has been slight bloating. Its worth noting you're going somewhere in Europe you can buy it over the counter for pennies so get some for your holiday but stock up whilst you are there for next time

MangoBiscuit · 18/10/2022 12:05

I bought norethisterone to delay mine once because DP and I were going on a weekend away together and I didn't want to ruin the chances of us having sex. Ruined the weekend anyway because I had the worst PMT I've ever had and felt murderous rage all weekend when I wasn't near tears. I would never take it again.

Flynn94 · 18/10/2022 12:07

I have used Norethisterone in the past and ordered it from boots online. Unfortunately I did suffer with side effects, mainly extreme fatigue, general feelings of anxiety and when my period did come it was a lot heavier than usual with very bad cramping. Don’t think I would use it again.

JM10 · 18/10/2022 12:12

I've also used norethisterone before and had no side effects at all.

WeeM · 18/10/2022 12:16

I have used norethisterone in the past and never had any side effects. I now get provera as the doctor said norethisterone isn’t advised if you are over 35. I got it on prescription recently (Scotland)

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.