Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

3 months+ for travel insurance claim

12 replies

aawcmon · 07/10/2022 16:58

Just venting as i'm so frustrated in trying to deal with the Post office with an ongoing insurance claim raisedat beginning of July after an incident on holiday... have phoned multiple times for updates, emailed (although lucky if you get a response) and provided all documentation required...yet still here, 3 months later and keep getting fobbed off with 'we're very busy'. I've been told the claim has been escalated multiple times, only to find out it hasn't been and they apparently can't tell me when it will be dealt with either. I've asked for it to be escalated numerous times and i hear nothing, i'm at my wits end. AIBU for thinking 3 months is long enough!

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

8 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
13%
You are NOT being unreasonable
88%
NeverDropYourMooncup · 07/10/2022 17:05

Can you deal with 130 claims a day with 47 phone calls a hour, largely of people either shouting or crying (or both) for a solid 9 hours a day with a 3 minute toilet break only if you're at the point of soaking your seat?

I did when I had a job in travel insurance - the sheer volume of work over summer is insane. I know it's not your problem and it's horrible to be in the position of needing to make a claim, but it is the reality of the workload, even without staff sickness or the fact it's now possible to get a job wfh for far more money without being shouted at constantly, rather than being treated like battery hens, just with fewer rights.

aawcmon · 07/10/2022 17:34

Thanks for replying and i agree, that sounds awful. I have also worked in a similar role in the past and absolutely appreciate how hard it is, hence why i didn't note anywhere in my original post that i have shouted or in any way blamed the person on the phone, it's not their fault.

My issue is the lack of information being provided and the lack of any progress within that timeframe. Owing to the incident in question, i am now being harassed by people at my holiday location, looking for a resolution...i can't keep telling them the same thing over and over, their patience has apparently been exhausted and there doesn't appear to be anything i can do except keep pushing.

OP posts:
Trainham · 07/10/2022 17:53

Post office insurance would not touch them with a barge poll. Told me I was not insured,then sent my forms for lost luggage - hadn't even gone on holiday . the friend I was going with had a cardiac arrest 2 days before. Can't remember the catalogue of events but when I threatened ombudsman they coughed up.

Herbie0987 · 07/10/2022 17:59

Go to the Ombudsman, it will definitely focus their minds.

NeverDropYourMooncup · 07/10/2022 17:59

aawcmon · 07/10/2022 17:34

Thanks for replying and i agree, that sounds awful. I have also worked in a similar role in the past and absolutely appreciate how hard it is, hence why i didn't note anywhere in my original post that i have shouted or in any way blamed the person on the phone, it's not their fault.

My issue is the lack of information being provided and the lack of any progress within that timeframe. Owing to the incident in question, i am now being harassed by people at my holiday location, looking for a resolution...i can't keep telling them the same thing over and over, their patience has apparently been exhausted and there doesn't appear to be anything i can do except keep pushing.

Is it a liability claim/high value? They tend to take longer because managers usually deal with them instead - and the manager will also be dealing with the complaints about the standard types of claim, high value claims and the like, along with managing the normal staff. And sometimes the Insurers insist that they're all sent to them to handle, which adds even more complications (I'm thinking that yours is at least initially with a claims handling agent, rather than the company who wrote the policies).

It's worth finding out and if you can get the details of the insurers, submitting a complaint to them, as depending upon the cost, it could be cheaper to pay than let it go to the IOb.

aawcmon · 07/10/2022 18:26

That's really useful information, i believe the insurers are collinsons but i'm not sure how it all works between them and post office, if i can go to them directly? It is a higher claim value (a few thousand), but still within limit of personal liability amount.

OP posts:
Stopthebusplease · 07/10/2022 18:59

Contact 'Rip Off Britain'?

Jowak1 · 07/10/2022 19:20

I've been waiting since February for the Post Office to sort out my claim! I too have emailed and rang them numerous times snd I just get an e mail saying they have everything they need and will be in touch. It's 8 months now ! I rang about a month ago and the lady said she would move my claim to urgent and claim handler would be in touch! A month later no one been in touch. Im never getting travel insurance with them again!

NeverDropYourMooncup · 07/10/2022 22:24

aawcmon · 07/10/2022 18:26

That's really useful information, i believe the insurers are collinsons but i'm not sure how it all works between them and post office, if i can go to them directly? It is a higher claim value (a few thousand), but still within limit of personal liability amount.

I'm speaking generally, not doing the job anymore, but I'd be very surprised if they haven't punted it out to a claims handling agent. As they haven't responded to your initial complaint within 8 weeks, you can go straight to the IOB. That tends to focus minds somewhat.

Good luck!

NeverDropYourMooncup · 07/10/2022 22:24
NeverDropYourMooncup · 07/10/2022 22:28

And because it's late and I've had a manic day at work (still easier than travel claims handling, though!) here's the direct link to submit a complaint.

help.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/help

aawcmon · 09/10/2022 13:18

@NeverDropYourMooncup thank you so much for all your advice, you've been hugely helpful, i very much appreciate it!

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.