Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Feel awkward in this role and not sure whether to continue

4 replies

Frurt · 05/10/2022 12:43

I'm doing TA supply work, but looking for a permanent role for financial stability.
The problem is having to take time off due to interviews, especially in school based roles where interview times are usually non

OP's posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

Frurt · 05/10/2022 12:49

Non-negotiable.
Anyway I'm at 2 different schools on long term TA supply, I'm definitely happier at one than the other.
Last week I had an interview which I didn't get, but I had phoned my agency and said I couldn't make it to my school on X date. They said no problem, we'll let the school know.
That date, I had a call from the agency asking why I hadn't turned up to the school.
I told them that I had informed them I would be off and that they'd said they would let the school know. Then they apologized for failing to pass on the msg.
So it looked to the school like I just hadn't turned up which was not correct.
Anyway I arrived back today and the teacher and other TA were a bit off with me. The teacher right away said, "Next time, can you please contact the school directly as the agency are rubbish at passing messages on."
I apologised for what had happened and said that I had been told my agency would pass the message on.
I feel bad that it was inconvenient for them, but the teacher and TA have been quiet all day with me and I find it a bit petty tbh. I feel really awkward and don't want to continue if it's like this.
I'm also worried how it will be with more interviews, they won't be happy if I take off more days for them (even if it means I won't get paid) but not sure what to do otherwise.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Frurt · 05/10/2022 15:59

Anyone please?

OP's posts:
Please
or

RedHelenB · 05/10/2022 18:34

You are agency staff so you have to deal with things through the agency not the school. And maybe you're imagining the teacher and TA being off with you. I'd stop thinking about it now if I were you, that's the joy of agency work.

Please
or

chocolateisavegetable · 05/10/2022 21:51

If the staff are being petty, it might tell you something about the culture there. If you don’t need the money, you don’t need a reference from them and you don’t think the agency would hold it against you, then just leave

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?