Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

To ask what you keep in your coffee table drawers/ tv cabinet?

25 replies

sparklins · 04/10/2022 13:37

Hoping for some traffic!

We've recently bought a new coffee table and it has 2 large drawers in it that can be opened from 2 sides. So far I have only popped a set of coasters in there but they are a really good size so I would really like to utilize them well.
Also we have a matching corner tv unit that has a nice large drawer at the bottom still sat empty at the moment.

Again, all the drawers are a good size so would love suggestions or insight on what I can use them for!

What are you supposed to put in them?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

NoseyNellie · 04/10/2022 13:46

Depends what you do in your sitting room other than watch TV - mine are full of craft projects (mainly cross stitch & crochet) and are a godsend in that I can fling stuff in there and they’re kept clean and unruffled if visitors drop round.

My DBro & SIL have a chest type thing they use as a coffee table and it’s full of board games, puzzles, packs of cards etc

Please
or

SunshineLollipopsRainbow · 05/10/2022 13:22

TV unit has rather randomly got light bulbs, spare batteries, cables for all sorts of things, those kind of odd bits.

Please
or

xogossipgirlxo · 05/10/2022 13:24

Coasters, remotes and books I'm currently reading. And nail file.

Please
or

Margo34 · 05/10/2022 13:26

Colouring pencils and paper, notebooks and post-its, stickers - all for the toddler, in one draw. Nothing in the others because I had to empty them when the toddler started exploring 🤭

Prior to that - there was a pack of playing cards and some table top games (think wooden tangram puzzle) in one drawer, notepads and pens in another, keepsake letters or cards in another and vouchers/gift cards/take away money in the other.

Please
or

GottaGetOutofDairy · 05/10/2022 13:28

The TV cabinet has board games stacked in it.

The coffee table has been empty forever. Or maybe even has an old DVD player in there that no one has used for 5+ years.

Please
or

XCTX · 05/10/2022 13:30

Random stuff, mostly post. My TV cabinet is randomly where all the dog toys are kept

Please
or

hiredandsqueak · 05/10/2022 13:31

Mine are all empty because I declutter everything Blush

Please
or

vodkaredbullgirl · 05/10/2022 13:34

Somewhere else to put my crap Grin

Please
or

Sophfreddie · 05/10/2022 13:36

Oh is it the orrik from oak furniture land? I have that 😆 I keep ipad/diary/notepad & pens in one, my sad lamp and a few chargers in another, miscellaneous stuff like lip balm, some random tissue paper and a couple of instruction manuals in another, coasters/TV remote/a wiping cloth in the last..

Please
or

mindutopia · 05/10/2022 13:59

No coffee table, but currently tv stand drawers hold a mix of mismatched plastic tat that the dc probably haven't played with in years, but still manage to spread around the lounge on a regular basis, some books, probably some crisp packets they have attempted to hide when I said they weren't allowed them, and almost certainly a mouldy apple core from 3 months ago that I've yet to find.

Please
or

TheChosenTwo · 05/10/2022 14:00

I don’t have a tv cabinet or a coffee table - precisely because I know it would just be a breeding ground for shit we don’t need to keep but just got dumped there!

Please
or

MerryLeg · 05/10/2022 14:00

Nothing. I hate clutter.

Please
or

BatshitCrazyWoman · 05/10/2022 14:04

I have three small drawers in the TV cabinet - one has candles and matches etc in it (I don't have children at home!). One has playing cards and card type games in it, and the other is empty. I don't like clutter - this is purposeful storage 😂

Please
or

Squeezedsquash · 05/10/2022 14:12

All the stuff!

scissors and tape for wrapping up. Chocolate stash. Small board and card games. Stamps. Napkins and napkin rings. Old photographs.

Please
or

Malfi · 05/10/2022 14:15

My TV is on a low table with no drawers. There’s nothing else on it. Coffee table has a lower shelf underneath it. We keep board games on it and jigsaws.

Please
or

BernadetteRostankowskiWolowitz · 05/10/2022 14:16

Tv cabinet- our most used board games and a couple of baskets with devices (kindle, cables, switch etc)

Coffee table - large square with a shelf under houses a box with decks of cards, then baskets with 1. Hair stuff 2. Pens 3. Small games. Also keep a wodge of plain paper and notebooks under for the kids.

Please
or

TheSausageKingofChicago · 05/10/2022 14:17

My coffee table is my crap drawer - tape measures, packs of Christmas cards, sellotape, scissors, nail clippers, Dreamies for the cat, anything that you might need to hand that doesn’t have a proper home

Please
or

mynameiscalypso · 05/10/2022 14:19

We have a similar coffee table. Like PP, ours is now filled with toddler crap. When he was a baby, I used to keep snacks in one drawer so I always had them to hand. Highly recommended.

Please
or

spiderontheceiling · 05/10/2022 14:23

Our drawers are the perfect size for DVDs but we no longer have any of those!
The one nearest the sofa is mine and has nail stuff, my sewing stuff & su duko books. Basically anything I might do whilst watching the TV. It also has my colouring books & pens in to stop the DC using them. Plus a bar of chocolate squirrelled at the back.
The other one has the card games in it.

Please
or

Coastalcreeksider · 05/10/2022 14:25

TV drawers have: assorted batteries, instruction leaflet for TV, odd cables, notepad, coasters.

Please
or

cstaff · 05/10/2022 14:26

My TV cabinet has all of my important docs i.e. pension, savings, bills, guarantees - you name it, it is in there. But, I live alone and have no kids so while it sounds insane, it is pretty safe from my perspective. I am laughing at the answers above i.e. games, playing cards, DVDs etc as mine couldn't be more different.

Please
or

bigbadbarry · 05/10/2022 14:29

coasters, remote controls, pens, bits of craft projects, cat toys

Please
or

justasking111 · 05/10/2022 14:29

TV unit. TV on top shelf underneath sky box, weather box and random candles. Glass cupboard all the booze.

Coffee table flowers on top underneath basket for remote controls , instruction manuals and games

Please
or

hornchurchmum · 05/10/2022 14:57

My sideboard has blankets folded up that we use most nights. My picnic blankets are also in there. Also spare candles for my storm lamps. The kids also have a big bag of Wii and XBox accessories and games in there (the consoles are under the TV). I don't have much in the drawers under the TV, I think a spare Sky remote and some batteries :)

Please
or

DillyDilly · 05/10/2022 15:02

If you can’t think what to put into them, then obviously you have enough storage elsewhere. I always think it’s good to have a cupboard shelf or drawer here or there empty, rather than full of stuff!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?