Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Phillip Schofield and Holly Willoughby

158 replies

BishyBarnyBee · 26/09/2022 10:36

I can't find a thread on this. I don't watch them and I'm not particularly a fan, I find Schofield a bit smarmy. But I'm baffled by the tabloid hate at the moment.

I've obviously clicked on something about them because my timeline has now shown multiple articles from the Mail and Express on the campaign for them to resign because of their Royal Funeral queue jumping.

My understanding - and I didn't follow the funeral obsessively so may be wrong - is that there were two public queues, a queue for those with disabilities, and a VIP queue. David Beckham apparently achieved sainthood by using the public queue. But surely many, many other celebrities and dignitaries used the 4th queue?

So why have Schofield and Willoughby been signalled out? And why is the campaign still going a week after the actual funeral?

It just makes no sense to me. Anyone got any theories?

YANBU They didn't do anything different to many other VIPs.

YABU They behaved disgracefully and should be sacked.

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

522 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
50%
You are NOT being unreasonable
50%
Snoozer11 · 26/09/2022 10:51

Schofield started an affair with a boy he had known since he was 10, a few days after he came of age, allegedly.

He regular Snapchats teenage boys in the early hours of the morning, and gives teenagers he fancies jobs on This Morning.

He keeps getting away with it and people are sick of it. They're disgusted.

Look at all the people who've worked with him in the past who have deep problems with him and his behaviour.

He's more than "a bit smarmy".

www.politicalite.com/exclusive/exclusive-phillip-schofield-and-best-pal-simon-groomed-mcgreevy-claim-telly-insiders/

Wanda616 · 26/09/2022 10:53

The tabloids are trying to distract people from the absolute shit show of a budget, so Phil and Holly are the convenient scapegoats.

SavoirFlair · 26/09/2022 10:53

I was going to type the same thing. There are at least 5-10 active threads on this @BishyBarnyBee … you didn’t really look very hard, perhaps because you wanted your own special thread to yourself

YABU …

dottiedodah · 26/09/2022 11:05

TBH I cant see why they are being singled out like this. I am not a fan of either one, but surely they werent the only ones ? Maybe as above PP says they are becoming a scapegoat?

Krank · 26/09/2022 11:13

I can't find a thread on this

Liar.

TwoWrightFeet · 26/09/2022 11:14

Schofield started an affair with a boy he had known since he was 10, a few days after he came of age, allegedly.

He regular Snapchats teenage boys in the early hours of the morning, and gives teenagers he fancies jobs on This Morning.

Look at all the people who've worked with him in the past who have deep problems with him and his behaviour.

www.politicalite.com/exclusive/exclusive-phillip-schofield-and-best-pal-simon-groomed-mcgreevy-claim-telly-insiders/

This.

He is hiding in plain sight and has lots of fans (including this site) that shut down any talk of this, despite the facts being in the open.

You can see how other presenters got away with it, and we have learned nothing!

BishyBarnyBee · 26/09/2022 11:15

"BishyBarnyBee … you didn’t really look very hard, perhaps because you wanted your own special thread to yourself"

Good to see the milk of human kindness is flowing on mumsnet in the usual way.

I didn't find anything because I searched for their full names, not Holly and Phil. Perhaps because I'm not a fan, or maybe don't watch enough daytime TV or read celebrity magazines, it didn't occur to me to use the shortened name.

But now I have my own shiny thread and my mumsnet ambitions are fulfilled. Thanks SavoirFlair.

OP posts:
blockpavingismynightmare · 26/09/2022 11:17

They took the places of two other press related people who backed out for them to join that press queue. Their names were not on the list. They are deeply unpleasant people anyway to watch on TV so this just adds to the 'hate'

BishyBarnyBee · 26/09/2022 11:18

TwoWrightFeet · 26/09/2022 11:14

This.

He is hiding in plain sight and has lots of fans (including this site) that shut down any talk of this, despite the facts being in the open.

You can see how other presenters got away with it, and we have learned nothing!

This is what I wondered. But odd it didn't happen at the time. Did they all decide to go with the "so brave" line when he came out then wait for an opportunity to stick the knife in? Off to read the other threads now.

OP posts:
mynamesnotMa · 26/09/2022 11:21

He is off... i do not believe hes nice at all. Fake as fuck.. I get a huge whiff of Saville about him.
She should resign as she must know.
The queue is a red herring.

Cativy · 26/09/2022 11:24

BishyBarnyBee · 26/09/2022 11:15

"BishyBarnyBee … you didn’t really look very hard, perhaps because you wanted your own special thread to yourself"

Good to see the milk of human kindness is flowing on mumsnet in the usual way.

I didn't find anything because I searched for their full names, not Holly and Phil. Perhaps because I'm not a fan, or maybe don't watch enough daytime TV or read celebrity magazines, it didn't occur to me to use the shortened name.

But now I have my own shiny thread and my mumsnet ambitions are fulfilled. Thanks SavoirFlair.

claps

x2boys · 26/09/2022 11:25

BishyBarnyBee · 26/09/2022 11:18

This is what I wondered. But odd it didn't happen at the time. Did they all decide to go with the "so brave" line when he came out then wait for an opportunity to stick the knife in? Off to read the other threads now.

Didn't he come out just prior to the pandemic hitting, which kind of overshadowed everything ?
I remember a few threads about how his wife and daughters must have felt ,with all the isn't Philip brave kind of comments, but then the pandemic hit, and obviously in the very early days that was all anybody was talking about .

JacquelineCarlyle · 26/09/2022 11:29

Covid took over the headlines and so his story just disappeared.

TwoWrightFeet · 26/09/2022 11:35

He came out at a point where there was a lot of negative press going around about feuds with other presenters at ITV. There was a lot of speculation around what was causing the fallouts. He decided it was better to say he had been lying about his sexuality to his fans and wife (not that she didn’t know) for decades to distract from the truth.

ThatGirlInACountrySong · 26/09/2022 11:39

Ok....so why are we dragging Holly down with him?

Joewasmyfave · 26/09/2022 11:39

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

ThatGirlInACountrySong · 26/09/2022 11:40

So what's the issue with Holly?

It's like the 1950's here....the man is in the wrong so drag the little woman down too

Inklingpot · 26/09/2022 11:44

Not another thread on this. It’s beyond tedious now.

DevaleraSpawnOfSatan · 26/09/2022 11:47

Phil is that you.

Lampzade · 26/09/2022 11:52

I don’t think that the queue jumping is the issue
Many people dislike Philip S because they feel that he abused his position and ‘got away’ with effectively grooming a young man.
He has many enemies in the media who will do anything to destroy him. Holly suffers because she is close friends with Philip and stands by him
I cannot bear him tbh . He is just vile and is also a shit presenter

WaveyHair · 26/09/2022 11:53

They clearly jumped the queue- no way would Holly stand in line in those spiky heels for 13 hours. And if they did queue jump they should just admit it.

I suspect after seeing the positive press David Beckham got they wanted to tap into that.

And yes I don't consider Phil to be particularly brave, it is his wife who gets my sympathy.

ThreeRingCircus · 26/09/2022 11:55

I agree that the queue is a red herring.

Phil got away lightly with the grooming underage boys story. He "came out" as a distraction and then Covid hit and that dominated the news. Holly has supported Phil and stood by him and therefore there's a lot of people out there that deeply dislike the pair of them. The queue thing is just an opportunity to call for them to resign (which I think they should....but it's got nothing to do with the queue.)

I say "came out" because a family member worked with Phil years and years ago and says that it was no secret that he was gay and he was deeply unpleasant and problematic. He's been allowed to get away with this shit for years, it's like the media have learned nothing.

LovinglifeAF · 26/09/2022 11:55

The queue itself was ridiculous so is the fuss about them jumping it, but I can’t abide the pair of them so fair dos for anything that gives them a kicking

Suzi888 · 26/09/2022 11:57

Wanda616 · 26/09/2022 10:53

The tabloids are trying to distract people from the absolute shit show of a budget, so Phil and Holly are the convenient scapegoats.

^ this, plus other atrocities no doubt.

If Phil has groomed young new starters then that’s surely more newsworthy.

I think they’re getting so much hate because they lied. Just cough up, as a celebrity we got to jump the queue, don’t feign a story about having to him a queue to present on it.

They’re both crap presenters, but it’s a magazine show. It’s not real news. Just appeals to the masses, it’s fast paced and background noise.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.