Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To worry about what baby is eating

6 replies

worrywart33 · 22/09/2022 07:19

My baby is 5 and a half months old and still only taking roughly 4oz a formula per feed. I always offer 5 but it's rare that she'll drain a 5oz bottle. Other babies her age are on 7oz bottles now (which is also what guidelines suggest they should be taking at this point). She still feeds roughly every 3 hours during the day and wakes once during the night for a feed. She's putting on weight but is measuring small for her age and I guess I'm just a bit worried about the volume she's taking. I can't force her to take more milk though. HV didn't seem too concerned and said she's a little and often baby but is this normal? I'm wondering if there's anything else I can do.

OP posts:
Please
or

Mummyboy1 · 22/09/2022 07:29

Sounds like my baby at that age, he wasn't small but always took months before drinking more. Your baby seems content and full if she's just needing the one feed in the night. I presume she's not dropping down on the chart if the HV is happy?

Please
or

Mummyboy1 · 22/09/2022 07:30

He would also want to be fed every 2 and a half/ 3 hours during the day. I had to completely ignore what the milk tub would say 😅. It's just the way he was.

Please
or

luxxlisbon · 22/09/2022 07:31

Some babies drink more, some drink less. With yours I would say it’s probably averaging out over the 24hrs. Most of the ones having bigger bottles likely aren’t drinking every 3 hours.

Please
or

worrywart33 · 22/09/2022 07:33

Thank you that's reassuring. No she isn't dropping down the chart but she is measuring smaller than average in weight and length. Maybe that's why she needs less though

OP posts:
Please
or

Merrow · 22/09/2022 07:37

My DS never took more than 3oz at a time. My mum was convinced I was a soft touch and she'd sort him out when she looked after him for a day, but even she admitted defeat! He's 3 now and still is a little and often child rather than someone that can put away a meal the size other children his age eat.

Please
or

BertieBotts · 22/09/2022 07:40

Ignore the tub, listen to your baby. Sounds like they are doing great :)

It's very old fashioned to push babies into a smaller number of larger feeds, and probably not very good for them really unless they are leaning that way themselves. Little and often is fine!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?