My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To think this could start a domino effect of republicanism internationally?

8 replies

ChocolateAffogato · 09/09/2022 15:51

Once the novelty of a new king wears off, I'm wondering if conversations are going to start regarding republicanism across the Commonwealth. Particularly in countries like Australia, Canada and New Zealand where it's been a prominent political discussion for a long time.

Does Charles have the charisma that The Queen had to hold off critics? I'm sceptical. I have seen many people already saying he doesn't have the personality, magnetism or youth to pull it off as a newly-crowned king. The Queen obviously wasn't young, but she ruled for so long that people seemed to feel a sense of comfort and familiarity in her, Charles obviously wont be able to provide this.

I'm wondering if it's just a matter of time now for the Royal Family across the Commonwealth nations. Or do you think this might, in some way, strengthen the opinion of the RF?

OP posts:
SarahProblem · 09/09/2022 15:52

I hope so. The Queen seemed genuinely dedicated and increasingly more likeable as she got older.

I can't stand the rest of them.

worriedatthistime · 09/09/2022 15:54

Who knows and Charles isn't silly he has plans to sim down etc anyway
It won't really affect us anyway whatsoever

Infinitemoon · 09/09/2022 15:55

I don't think so. King Charles will start a resurgence if anything.

InsertPunHere · 09/09/2022 15:57

Yes, I think a good number retained the monarchy out of affection for the Queen and will get rid now.

PAFMO · 09/09/2022 15:57

Infinitemoon · 09/09/2022 15:55

I don't think so. King Charles will start a resurgence if anything.

I agree.

Softplayhooray · 09/09/2022 15:59

The idea of a royal family and a monarchy is just ridiculous. I hope we don't have one for much longer. Saying that, I feel very sad for the news of the Queen passing as she is a human being, loved by her family, and she will be missed just as any family misses their loved ones who pass on.

womaninatightspot · 09/09/2022 16:01

I think so. She was a one woman institution. In all honesty if Anne was next in line I’d have a bit more hope for the monarchy.

ChocolateAffogato · 09/09/2022 16:15

Interesting that some people think it could start a resurgence in support of monarchy governments. Very intrigued to see how this will unfold.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.