Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Unglamorousgranny wants to go back to Ibiza!

Unglamorousgranny · 06/08/2022 10:40

Lighthearted - I'd probably look so out of place. I've not been for so, so many years I don't know what it's like anymore. I've heard the music is not as good as the golden age of rave & trance. I'm listening to tunes from the 90's & 2000 and so want to go back to those days! I want to buy a glitzy outfit & go. Sadly I'm a 58 year old overweight nana feeling past her prime in energy & looks & none of my friends want to go now
Would I even last the pace now 😅 Possibly for one or two nights if I didn't drink. I stayed out dancing til 3am a few months back & I didn't want to come home.
Just enjoy it while you can young ones, one day you'll yearn for those carefree days when you go out when it's really time to go to bed....

OP's posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

Antarcticant · 06/08/2022 10:46

That kind of thing was never my scene even when I was in my teens/20s. I was born a fuddy-duddy Grin

My point is that your age shouldn't matter - if it's your thing, go for it! Book a holiday. bet you wouldn't be the only middle-aged person there.

Please
or

BeautifulWar · 06/08/2022 10:51

It's been a while since I went, but ave friends who still do. All ages and all sorts go to party in ibiza. No-one really dresses up, but anything goes! There are plenty of day parties if you're feeing to tired to stay up all night. There's something for everyone!

Please
or

gannett · 06/08/2022 10:51

Go for it! I hope I do the same when I'm your age.

90s rave and trance is back among some of the cooler young DJs these days anyway.

Please
or

CousinGregg · 06/08/2022 10:53

There are people of al ages at:
Pacha- Flower Power
Hi- Glittebox
Pikes
and others.
Go and enjoy. Life is short.

Please
or

Unglamorousgranny · 06/08/2022 10:56

@Antarcticant you're right I probably wouldn't be the only middle aged person there. After all, the people who were into that back in the day are all going to be middle aged. I looked at my son's photos of Ocean Beach & they were all young, beautiful, slim & golden tanned people. Last year I was out with an old friend & we bumped into her 18 year old daughter & pals. After half an hour I'd had enough. I don't drink a lot these days and I felt like a sober school teacher supervising the school trip. Probably best to stick to my memories

OP's posts:
Please
or

Sunnyqueen · 06/08/2022 11:00

Go to like a medium level place, few bars and restaurants, a bit of night life but not full on party resort. I'm in my 30s and that's what I prefer now

Please
or

ChampagneCharlieIsMyName · 06/08/2022 11:04

I absolutely get where. You’re coming from @Unglamorousgranny but from my experience (I too am a 58 grandmother) I’ve found that trying to recapture a moment never ends well.
The place has changed, the people have changed, the vibe has changed and you come away feeling sad and disappointed that it’s not like you remembered.
I hope you have fun, but don’t put too much faith into this one trip.

Please
or

Tinkerblonde1 · 06/08/2022 11:06

We have just come back from Ibiza we stayed in a quiet resort but did a night in San An. It has changed since 1997 we struggled with the heat this time.

It has changed since last time. I would say theres a meal culture but also all lots of different ages. So go for it. We had a great time with teenagers.

In 97 reps were picking me up to take me into bars. That wasn't happening now. Not sure if its because times have moved on. ( I hope) or I am a fat mid forties las.

Please
or

Unglamorousgranny · 06/08/2022 11:07

@BeautifulWar @CousinGregg @gannett you've spurned me on & made me feel a bit better. Time to get beach body ready for 2023. Mary Berry went to Pasha at 80 I read, the youngsters don't own it. If my friends don't go then I'll have to take the old man who has two left feet & never dances.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Tinkerblonde1 · 06/08/2022 11:13

Norman Cook was on at Mambo too. Sam Divine when we were there.

Please
or

PolishingCandles · 06/08/2022 11:16

In my younger pubbing and clubbing years, I used to laugh at my father who would say ...I don't understand why you want to go to pubs with that racket, how can you have a conversation with all that banging and crashing going on and nowhere to sit? Give me a quiet pub with comfortable seats anyday!
Now I'm the one who wants a quiet pub with comfortable seats and conversation 🤣
But, if it floats your boat then go for it, age is but a number ( and creaking joints, aches and pains and general grumping about everything ) 😳

Please
or

sHREDDIES19 · 06/08/2022 11:17

Listen Ibiza is all about the music, a deep love for house and trance. It stands apart from other destinations because of that very reason. Sure some people go as it’s cool but at the core it’s roots go back to living for the dance and the vibe it brings out in people. I too like you loved the music of the 90s and early 2000s but also appreciate modern dance some of it is brilliant too. Get booking you won’t regret it!

Please
or

Goingtothevetnow · 06/08/2022 11:28

I'm 60ish and I've been back go ibiza a few times in recent years. I love it! I just don't bother clubbing, there's still good nightlife for the more (ahem) mature holidaymakers!

Go for it OP!

Please
or

NorthernSoul55 · 06/08/2022 11:28

Do it! We last went in our late 50s, convinced we'd be the oldest swingers in town - we weren't by a long way! We went back the following year and I'd go again in a heartbeat.

Please
or

Unglamorousgranny · 06/08/2022 13:29

@Goingtothevetnow @NorthernSoul55 did you stay in San Antonio itself, or somewhere close by? I really want to go back now you've said you weren't the oldest swingers in town

OP's posts:
Please
or

Whammyyammy · 06/08/2022 13:34

Not my scene, but who cares about your age, so long as you're happy and enjoy yourself... book that flight.

Last time I was in ibiza (portinax) coming home through the airport was a group of guys, all 50+, wearing hi viz jackets and shorts, obviously been to the party scene in San Antonio etc and they looked like they had a fab time, and certainly not out of place.

You only live once, don't look back on not going with regret

Please
or

Unglamorousgranny · 06/08/2022 13:57

I've just remembered I've got a chilled out ibiza tunes double cd in the loft. That's what I'm after I think & I'm sure my husband would like that side of it & he hasn't even got to get beach body ready, he's looked after himself better than I have. Not got the time this year, but something to aim for next year, even a long weekend there would do

OP's posts:
Please
or

Sandrine1982 · 06/08/2022 14:13

We've just been to Ibiza with our 3 year old. It wasn't like the old times but we still totally loved it - especially DD who was obsessed with the evening disco at our hotel. One day I hope to go clubbing with her (if she'll have me) ;)

Ibiza is for EVERYONE 💕

Please
or

MrsJBaptiste · 06/08/2022 14:43

Pete Tong is 62... just sayin' 😁

Please
or

Unglamorousgranny · 06/08/2022 15:02

@MrsJBaptiste and gets blamed for everything going wrong 🙂

OP's posts:
Please
or

Goingtothevetnow · 06/08/2022 18:45

The last couple of times we stayed in Santa Eulària des Riu, a lovely laid-back town. Very different to San Antonio but we did spend a day strolling around SA.

Spoke to a few (young) bar/restaurant staff there who all said that they can't afford to go to any of the nightclubs. All around the harbour was full of those people who engage you in conversation, grab your wrist and really don't want to let you go until you've bought whatever they're selling! We were glad we weren't staying there tbh.

Please
or

MabelMoo23 · 06/08/2022 20:01

Sandrine1982 · 06/08/2022 14:13

We've just been to Ibiza with our 3 year old. It wasn't like the old times but we still totally loved it - especially DD who was obsessed with the evening disco at our hotel. One day I hope to go clubbing with her (if she'll have me) ;)

Ibiza is for EVERYONE 💕

Am SO glad you’ve said this - I’m 45 and on verge of booking a late minute break to Ibiza with our two girls who are 6 and 4. Looking at staying in Playa D’En Bossa

Ibiza is on my bucket list and whilst it I appreciate we won’t be out clubbing etc I’m loving the thought the chill out vibes and my two love a boogie!!

Please
or

Badgirlriri · 06/08/2022 20:20

Its all ridiculously overpriced now (€100 for club entrance €20 per drink) but I can’t wait to go again this month 🎶

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.