Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To rarely eat when at work?

5 replies

nopoli · 13/12/2019 10:01

I hate eating when I'm at the office. My team hold amazing baking competitions and cakes/chocs are always being offered but I just can never bring myself to eat them. I'm not a germaphobe or racked with nerves/anxiety. It's weird cause I eat well at home/restaurants/friends homes.

I think it does make me come off a bit snobby/odd. I just have very little interest in eating - I might have a sandwich or a salad but rarely anything else. I work in quite a posh business park which has decent offerings but never really eat. I do get the odd comment.

Just curious if anyone else's appetite vanishes at work. 100% nothing to do with anxiety etc.

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

7 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
14%
You are NOT being unreasonable
86%
antisupermum · 13/12/2019 10:06

I can sympathise OP. My office is a very similar environment. All the guys in here buy doughnuts or cakes on a daily basis. I always decline. And its now some sort of running jokes of "who will persuade Antisupermum to eat?!"

I'm a pretty chunky lass, I'm not getting blown over in the wind any time soon. I just don't want any of their effing crap doughnuts. If I have a treat, I would rather do so in my PJs with my feet up, not hunched over my computer spraying crumbs all over the place. Nor do I want to be obligated to buy doughnuts because I eat doughnuts.

I don't think they look at me as snobby, but definitely a bit weird and perhaps a bit anal about my diet. Which definitely isn't the case, I just don't choose to indulge whilst at my desk. Stick to your guns OP.

OrangeTwirlGate · 13/12/2019 10:07

My appetite goes at work simply because we are so busy here is no time to think of food and 8 hours feels like 4.

But if I had a less fast paced job I probably would get peckish and eat crap.

thenightsky · 13/12/2019 10:11

I'm always so busy I don't notice that lunchtime has been and gone, until I get trembly and dizzy around 3pm.

CherryPavlova · 13/12/2019 10:14

I never eat before midday. If I’m in one of the offices it’s usually became I have back to back meetings. I would rarely eat.

Our offices are too big for shared cake etc. I guess some teams might bring something in but most people aren’t based in the office and wouldn’t do a three hour train journey with cake on their knees.
I can’t imagine anyone gives it much thought.

VladmirsPoutine · 13/12/2019 10:52

Yanbu. I detest the work place food police. Some people seem to think unless you're not clutching 3 doughnuts and a cookie you're borderline anorexic or have food 'issues'. Carry on. Unlike you I won't eat anyone's offering having seen some less than ideal hygiene practices amongst some colleagues.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.