Mumsnet Logo
My feed

to access all these features


. .. for being cross that it's taken a man who crashed into us 17 months to start an insurence claim?

12 replies

ZisforZebra · 15/07/2007 20:25

In december 2005 my husband was making a sharp left turn on a country lane and to do so had to pull into the middle of the road to swing round and make the turn. Some tit comes speeding up behind us and overtakes just as DH pulled over thus trapping the other car against ours and someone parked on the side of the road.

We exchanged insurence details and informed our insurence company who assured us that it was the other guy's liability. We didn't have any significant damage to our car and decided not to put in a claim.

6 weeks ago I get a letter stating that the other party is eager for a resolution and could we please complete the accident report form enclosed. This is the first we've heard about any claim and now the other party is claiming that it was DH's fault because he pulled into his lane.

AIBU for being really pissed off about a) the length of time they've taken to file a claim and b) that the other guy is blaming DH in this?

OP posts:

Panyanpickle77 · 15/07/2007 20:31

usually you have 6 months to make a claim so check with your insurance company.


duchesse · 15/07/2007 20:36

Sounds bent to me. I should ring your insurance company for advice.


lionheart · 15/07/2007 20:38

There is a limit, surely?


ZisforZebra · 15/07/2007 20:42

Thanks girls! I didn't know you had to file a claim within 6 months and have just been answering the questions that the insurance compnany have sent. I will ring the claims advisor first thing in the morning and quiz him thoroughly!

Still very pissed off though.

OP posts:

CaptainUnderpants · 15/07/2007 20:46

dont fill in anything without speaking to your nsurance company first and then let them do the 'talking' to the other insurance firm. Stay out of it, let the companies sort it out.


ZisforZebra · 15/07/2007 20:53

DH already filled in and returned the accident report form and they've written for clarification of something. The accident report form did come from our insurance company though. They don't seem bothered that it's taken so long.

Apart from the time it's taken, the thing making me crossest is that if the guy had hit us just slightly to the left I really think he'd have caused serious injury to our boys (who were in the back seat) and yet he's having the temerity to blame DH when he was the one speeding and obviously too close on a country lane.

OP posts:

HappyMummyOfOne · 15/07/2007 20:53

If the other party is claiming injury he has 3 years to put in a claim. If you dont complete the claim form, your insurers can be forced to handle under the RTA act and will concede liability as they will not have a choice.

I cant imagine 2 years later he is claiming for damage to the car so chances are he's out for compensation.


ZisforZebra · 15/07/2007 21:13

Ah, that sounds quite likely Happymotherofone.

On the one hand I just want it settled one way or another but on the other hand, it was his fault and I don't see why we should have to fork out for him.

OP posts:

ZisforZebra · 15/07/2007 21:14

Sorry, happymummyofone

OP posts:

HappyMummyOfOne · 16/07/2007 07:01

You can dispute the claim, I would complete the claim form with as much info as possible and ask your insurers to let you have a copy of the TP version of events and allegations. Then you can get more evidence together to dispute the claim. Were there any witnesses?


LongTimeNoSee00 · 09/11/2022 22:35

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

AnApparitionQuipped · 09/11/2022 22:37


This accident occurred 15 years ago.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Sign up to continue reading

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?