Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To be shaken after this?

6 replies

moutonfou · 26/06/2017 22:44

I was driving down a quiet motorway and overtook a slower car. As I was in the process of pulling back in, another car appeared from nowhere at what must have been 90-100mph and only passed me by a whisker.

I'm convinced that if I hadn't happened to be pulling back in, they wouldn't have had time to see me and slow down.

Have you ever had a moment where nothing has happened and everything is unchanged, but you think 'I could be dead'? It's eerie and I'm a bit shaken.

OP posts:
Aquamarine1029 · 26/06/2017 22:46

I've been there. It's jarring, for sure. You got lucky.

RaspberryBeretHoopla · 26/06/2017 22:46

Oh, it is so surreal when moments like that happen, isn't it?

When all stability rests on perfect split second timing.

It is shocking.

PeaFaceMcgee · 26/06/2017 22:57

Oh it's weird, like the world convulses for a moment and the only change is your pounding heart!

Been cut up by arsehole Audi drivers many a time.

MsSusanStoHelit · 26/06/2017 23:22

Urgh that sounds terrifying, I'd be really freaked out.

I bet the stupid fast driver wasn't even worrying about it - "oh, I know my own distances, I'm a great driver, I just pulled into the fast lane" - without ever thinking about the effect they have on the lithe drivers.

AtHomeDadGlos · 26/06/2017 23:27

I had one once. I was in inside lane, chap comes bombing up the far overtaking lane, has to slam the brakes on late as he was speeding and not paying attention. Swerves sideways across all three lanes with his nose facing the hard shoulder. Luckily I was able to have a quick glance at my blind spot and swerved into the middle lane just avoiding his boot. All in the space of about two seconds.

Really don't know how he didn't crash into me/me into him.

Esmereldafish · 26/06/2017 23:54

I was crossing the road not long ago with both my very young DC. As the lights went red and we stepped out a car shot past at about 60mph and missed us by cms. The reality didn't even hit for a few hours that the driver very nearly killed all 3 of us. I have to use that crossing every week and it still gives me goosebumps!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.