Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To send my kid to school?

19 replies

Sunshinegirls · 26/06/2017 07:09

My six year old has a nasty sounding chesty cough but is otherwise fine and dandy. I don't know if this is reason enough to keep her off school today. Aibu to send her to school?

OP posts:
FlossyMooToo · 26/06/2017 07:14

DD had a nasty virus and was off school for a week and GP said she would be left with a nasty annoying cough for up to 3 weeks but could go to school.
If your DD is not ill then send her.

I did have a bit of a fight on my hands with the school as they kept wanting to send her home as her cough was distracting Hmm

Sunshinegirls · 26/06/2017 07:17

She doesn't feel ill,, but the cough is persistent and sounds awful. I never know what to do, would you be annoyed as another parent if your child caught it as a result of me sending her to school?

OP posts:
Sirzy · 26/06/2017 07:22

Is the cough likely to stop her concentrating?

From what you have said it doesn't sound like she has anything infectious anyway. But as the mum of a brittle asthmatic prone to chest infections i would send her in unless she seems ill or too tired.

Cuppaand2biscuits · 26/06/2017 07:24

I'd send her in and explain to the teacher that if at any point they think she'd be better at home then just to ring you.

shouldwestayorshouldwego · 26/06/2017 07:30

I tend to send in but tell teacher that I am around if needed. I save days off for high temperature, vomiting or if the child seems ill. Having said that at this time of the year if attendance has otherwise been good it probably won't be too much of an issue at school.

Ankleswingers · 26/06/2017 07:34

Not really fair though if the cough is that nasty to spread it out and share it with classmates.
I never feel great with a cough. Personally I would keep off but that's me.

JustMumNowNotMe · 26/06/2017 07:34

Oh gosh yes just send her! Its only a cough! Just waiting for the comments abput how selfish that is though Grin

robinia · 26/06/2017 07:36

By the time it gets to that stage it is minimally infectious. I'd definitely send in, otherwise dc would end up with weeks off school.

Ankleswingers · 26/06/2017 07:38

In answer to your question- yes, I would be well pissed off if my child caught it.

Really- just keep at home today.

AvoidingCallenetics · 26/06/2017 07:39

How long has she had the cough? If she has just developed it then that might be the start of something more nasty, in ehich case the class won't thank you for sharing.
Otoh, if she has had it for a while, with no sign of illness, then school shpuld be okay. Coughs do linger, long after illness has gone.
I think I'd try and get a dr's appt to check her over this morning if possible, just to check.

Nousernameforme · 26/06/2017 07:40

Send in if it gets bad or causes a distraction they will send her home

NotEvenListening · 26/06/2017 07:41

Send her in and let the teacher know. My dd has seasonal asthma and has a hacking cough throughout the colder weather but no other symptoms. She would be absent for half of the year if I kept her off for it.

MrsKCastle · 26/06/2017 07:42

Send her in. Coughs can linger for ages, it just isn't possible to keep off every child who is coughing.

Haudyerwheesht · 26/06/2017 07:44

My kids would never be there if I kept them off for coughs. Is her breathing otherwise ok? No breathlessness? No fever?

I'd send her but also if it sounded that bad I'd probably get her chest sounded.

buttermilkcupcake · 26/06/2017 07:53

Just a cough?
Not really...
Kids cough all over other kids - spreading whatever it is!
I don't think you should keep her off,however, another kid will catch something from her!
Like most 'just' a little whatever!

Sunshinegirls · 26/06/2017 08:00

She's had it for a couple of days. She is otherwise ok but coughing every few minutes. She wants to go to school. I think I will send her but let them know I can come get her if they think it's for the best, as suggested above. Thanks

OP posts:
StephanieAteMyLunch · 26/06/2017 08:09

Our school says send them in unless they are unwell. So a cough send her in, a cough and temperature keep her home.

So send her in.

JustMumNowNotMe · 26/06/2017 11:49

A doctors appointment for a cough in an otherwise well child?! No wonder no one can ever get an appointment when they really need one!

Haudyerwheesht · 27/06/2017 23:42

If it's only been a couple of days then yes I'd have sent her in. Sorry I presumed she had had it longer. Also justmum I've had to get appointments for 'just a cough' before because that's how my kids astnma presents and they've needed treatment.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.