Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

AIBU to open someone else's post?

9 replies

McTufty · 20/06/2017 19:27

I've come home today to find 3 letters hand posted through our letter box for different members of the same family who don't live here and who I've never heard of. It isn't any of our neighbours.

I can tell these are wedding invitations because the black writing inside saying 'wedding invitation' shows through the envelope.

Should I open one to get the RSVP details to send them back to the sender and let them know that these people haven't received their invitations? Or should I just leave it? Obviously if i did open them they would know I had done so to get the RSVP details.

Wouldn't normally dream of opening someone else's post, I'm just wondering if I'd be doing them a favour here or if it's a massive no no regardless.

OP posts:
Mexxi · 20/06/2017 19:29

Definitely open them so that you can let the people know that they have the wrong address.

SantanicoPandemonium · 20/06/2017 19:30

Something important like that, I'd open one and return them to the sender. It might cause a lot of upset and hurt if someone thinks they haven't the been invited, or that an invitation was ignored.

NellieFiveBellies · 20/06/2017 19:30

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MyOtherNameIsTaken · 20/06/2017 19:32

Yes, do it.

Try and ignore any poems inside... Wink

Starlight2345 · 20/06/2017 19:33

yes I would.
I actually think it is the kindest thing to do.

WithCheesePlease · 20/06/2017 19:33

Yeah open them, I've done it before.

MadisonAvenue · 20/06/2017 19:35

I think you should, then stick them all in an envelope and send to the RSVP address.

I've had to open someone's mail recently. We've been getting a lot of mail from HMRC for someone we don't know, it's not a previous occupant either as it's a new build and we're the first people to live here. Coming from there and being very official I wondered whether I should open it but HMRC have instructed me to each time I've phoned as they've needed details contained within to try and investigate why our address is being used.

McTufty · 20/06/2017 19:54

Thank you everyone! I'll definitely open one then.

I'll report back if any money poems inside Grin

OP posts:
malmi · 20/06/2017 22:51

Attend the wedding. Then report back.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.