Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To ask about grey hair?

10 replies

Moanyoldcow · 09/06/2017 09:24

I know this is a first world problem but I don't have a big enough to ask!

I'm 39 and going grey quite rapidly. I have no issue with this and actually quite like how it looks with my black hair.

The thing is, it's s bloody mess all of a sudden - it's frizzy and dry (naturally curly hair) and the grey hair is flying all over the place. I used to regularly dye it up until about 6 months ago and it was fine - is it possible dying it actually improved the gesture?

I use decent conditioner and serum etc. I just can't get it looking decent and it's driving me mad.

OP posts:
Moanyoldcow · 09/06/2017 09:24

Anyone - not a big. Ffs!

OP posts:
Moanyoldcow · 09/06/2017 09:25

Texture - not gesture! I'm sleep deprived I'm afraid - up until 4am watching results!

OP posts:
NeedMoreSleepOrSugar · 09/06/2017 09:29

My greys are much more wiry and frizzy than the rest of my hair. Hair dyes cine with intensive conditioners, so they've probably been helping the condition of the greys until now. Maybe try an intensive conditioning treatment or hair mask?

Moanyoldcow · 09/06/2017 09:32

Thanks for the reply. I have been using a treatment now and then but you're right - maybe I need to step it up.

OP posts:
RegTheMonkey1 · 09/06/2017 10:47

My greys came in wiry too, I was dyeing it very dark. I grew it all out a year or so ago and now that it is all 'arctic platinum' the condition has settled down and it's nice and thick and glossy.

nannybeach · 09/06/2017 10:54

love th idea of "articic platinum", lots of teens twenties are going white grey. I have always had very straight greasy hair, which thinned at the menoporse, so I never had this problem, was fair/blond before so the front of my hair went white, didnt do the salt and pepper thing. I did go "natural" about 11 years ago, So I have 2 colour lo-lites, and use the Aussie 3 minute conditioner after treatment.A decent hairdresser will tell you not to go dark, once you start getting grey even if you were very dark, as your hair colour lightens, so does you skin.

RegTheMonkey1 · 09/06/2017 10:59

Going from dark to white has taken years off me, my face looks younger than when I had dark hair. People keep asking me what I've used on my hair these days and I can honestly say, nothing, it's all natural! Plus no more horrendous regrowth every three weeks!

thetemptationofchocolate · 09/06/2017 13:12

I have greying hair and I too rate the Aussie products. I use the miracle hair insurance - no-rinse which suits my lazy self - and have found it very good.

Fe2O3Girl · 09/06/2017 13:28

I'm not washing my hair with shampoo as frequently, maybe once a week, and just wetting and conditioning my hair every other day or so. Google "co-washing".

The founder of Bumble and Bumble has launched a new haircare range (Hairstory) based on a non-foaming shampoo and he claims all the "problems" that conditioners, masks and treatments are marketed for disappear if you aren't using foaming detergents. I'm intrigued but it's ridiculously expensive.

Aussie Miracle Moist is good, and affordable.

LovelyBath77 · 09/06/2017 14:06

I think sometimes the dye can coat the hair a bit and make it softer and shinier.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.