My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet doesn't verify the qualifications of users. If you have medical concerns, please consult a healthcare professional.

Allergies and intolerances

Eczema AND Molluscum in baby

3 replies

lechatnoir · 12/04/2010 22:34

My poor DS (9mths) has eczema which is generally under control with emollients & hydrocortisone but now the poor thing has picked up Molluscum . He's had a couple of big spots which I have tried to squeeze but not convinced I got rid of the infection and today I noticed a few tiny ones starting on his torso (DS1 had it a few years ago quite badly so know the signs sadly).

Now I know there's nothing I can do about the Molluscum, but am I OK to still use hydrocortisone? Won't the constant creaming for his eczema spread the infection & make it 10x worse? Any tips or hints much appreciated.
LCN

OP posts:
justallovertheplace · 12/04/2010 22:41

It's interesting that the two conditions may be linked- I don't have the stats, but I have read that children who suffer eczema are more likely to pick up molluscum. My ds had it for about 3 or 4 months from the age of about 3 months. I think he picked it up the one time we took him to the swimming pool.
For us, it was a combination of things that helped. He developed a bit of a skin problem in his nappy, and the antibiotics we were prescribed for that may have attacked the molloscum,. We also squeezed the spots, and the good news is that within a few days of the medicine and the squeezing, the spots crusted over and literally disappeared overnight.
It's a horrible thing to deal with though, it made me so down at the time. I gave up with the emollients we were prescribed, particuarly the steroid ones as I was so worried about the skin thinning properties of them (I was prescribed a steroid cream for the itchy skin on my bump during my pregnancy with dd and slathered it on knowing no better, and I swear it;s why I've got such bad stretchmarks). The best thing we've found is Neals Yard cammomile lotion.
As far as spreading infection, my ds shared baths and most probably towels with my dd and she never caught it. I was always incredibly careful when passing on handmedowns to friends though, and washed his clothes at very high temperatures just to be on the safe side.

tatt · 13/04/2010 11:32

mine had eczema and molluscum, it tends to go together. We left the bumps alone, creamed when necessary and in time it all went.

sweetkitty · 13/04/2010 11:35

My DD2 has eczema and had molluscum for over a year, neither the other two ever caught them despite sharing baths etc.

I was told not to squeeze the spots as this can lead to them gettin infected and leaving scars. They would get big and then pop themselves. Her's lasted about a year then they all just seemed to disappear in about a week, they are horrible to look at as well and she was a bit embarrassed about them as she was 3 at the time.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.