My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Mumsnet doesn't verify the qualifications of users. If you have medical concerns, please consult a healthcare professional.

Allergies and intolerances

Re swine flu vaccine and egg allergy

7 replies

mychildrenarebarmy · 24/11/2009 17:19

Is the vaccine safe for people with an egg allergy?
The GlaxoSmithKline vaccine (Pandemrix) is not suitable for people who have an anaphylactic reaction (allergic reaction) to egg.
The Baxter vaccine (Celvapan) does not use eggs in its production and so would be suitable for people who have a confirmed anaphylactic reaction to egg products.

From here:
www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Pandemic-flu/Pages/QA.aspx#whatisthenational

OP posts:
andagain · 25/11/2009 11:08

I asked my GP this yesterday as my DD who is 2 1/2 has egg allergy (presumed not anaphylactic though) and the GP has put my DD on the list for the egg free vaccine (Celvapan) as our surgery has only Pandemrix so have to order the other one especially for egg allergy sufferers.
I gather from what I saw on another post that it is only anaphylactic allergy they are concerned about with Pandemrix but I wasn't prepared to risk it as my daughter's allergy actually increased in a year between two tests and thankfully my GP was happy to put her on the egg free vaccine list. Now the question is how long will it take them to get it!
Hope this helps.

athomeagain · 07/01/2010 12:20

Celvapan--any updates ?we are trying to decide wether to give it to our 4 year old. we are worried if we don't decide soon they will run out!

Our four year old is allergic to peanuts ,eggs,nuts ,sesame and something else we can't work out!

SkipToMyLou · 07/01/2010 12:27

DS is allergic to eggs, nuts, milk and lentils, he had Celvapan before Christmas and the booster for it yesterday - no problems at all. Same for 2 other allergic kids at the same school who also had it, no-one has had any problems as far as I know.

Hope that helps.

athomeagain · 07/01/2010 12:29

THank you so much we had read about it not being signed off properly yet but maybe thats old news?!

rainbowlight · 07/01/2010 12:53

My DS is 2.2 and asthmatic and is allergic to eggs, milk, beans, lentils and peas. He had the Celvapan vaccine in December (2 doses) with absolutely no problems. He didn't have the vaccine at our GP's as the vaccination was organised by the PCT who held clinics around my area. They contacted my GP for all the names of egg allergic patients and then gave us the dates to attend the clinics - not sure if this is the same for all areas though just wanted to let you know how I got it arranged - we are in the North.

bridewolf · 07/01/2010 12:53

my egg allergic teen has just had his egg free swine flu jabs.

alhtough , ironically , i think he has already had the flu....

athomeagain · 07/01/2010 13:17

Thanks again to all i think we will go ahead

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.