Hi all,
Apologies for the long post! Ds2 (2) is due his first nasal flu vaccine next week.
A few weeks ago, I found out he has a grade 3 egg allergy which I suspect may be airborne. He was tested for milk, soya, egg and shellfish.
The allergy test was delayed 1 year due to the gp surgery messing up his referral from the dietitian. He had the blood test in July but I haven’t received the results from the paediatrician as he is on long term sick.
Ds has had widespread hives reactions from just touching egg in the past. Over the last few months he has also had eye swelling and minor hives reactions from being in the kitchen when I’ve been cooking dishes with egg in them and also when we went into a Greggs cafe. Also vigorously rubbing his nose and sneezing. Piriton resolved them.
He also frequently has a sudden barking cough (the previous times it’s came on he’s been given steroids for croup but they never really helped and he never had stridor). Looking back, it seemed to always come on when he’s been eating or in the kitchen.
A few weeks ago he was prescribed antibiotic drops for conjunctivitis as his eyes swelled and went blood shot. He’s been prescribed
drops for this often in the past but I always found it strange as my eldest son and myself have never caught it off him or had it and he didn’t have pus in his eyes.
A few days later when eating a biscuit in the car (which wasn’t meant to contain egg or soya), his eye went bloodshot, swelled up and he had severe chemosis of the eye. He had an appointment with the on call gp who confirmed it was an allergic reaction. He managed to retrieve hid allergy test results and it showed a grade 3 egg allergy.
Since then, I’ve removed all egg products from the house (he wasn’t eating any) and his eye swelling and barking cough/sneezing have not occurred since.
So I’m just wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation and did they go through with the nasal spray vaccine?
I presumed he didn’t have anaphylaxis as piriton eases the symptoms but I’m not sure if he’s experiencing multiple reactions at once.
The GP surgery have been pretty useless. I rang them to enquire about the vaccine but they haven’t got back to me. Also said to just wait for a replacement for the paediatrician who is on long term sick to get back to me regarding the allergy test (ds is due a review in October).
Any advice greatly appreciated!