I’m interested in hearing from parents of kids with Sen who’ve experienced this:-
my daughter is in year 6 and one of the girls in her class has autism and adhd, I’m friends with the mum via a hobby - my daughter and her daughter are not particularly close but get on but me and the mum know each other well and she’s a very nice person.
So she names a secondary school in the EHCP and they have come back saying that they CANNOT meet the child’s needs - she’s gone back to the caseworker and asked why not but she has quite complex issues. She’s waiting for a response as to the grounds of why not from the caseworker.
I’ve seen her tonight at the hobby club and she’s very upset and she’s said they set their heart on this school (it’s a local comp) and she knows I’m also interested in sending my daughter there (my eldest is already there) and she has asked me if any of my sons older friends have SEN and did they get in blah blah blah and are they similar and I think she was trying to get specific examples…..
It was awkward she was very tearful and upset so I said to her, wait until the caseworker gets back to you as it might be something that can be resolved but if not there is plenty of time to consider other options. I think this may have been the wrong thing to say as she became hysterical and said “it’s ok for you, you don’t have to deal with all this” and I fully appreciate how upsetting this must be and I said I did really feel for her and I hope she hears something back soon.
But I’m sat there thinking, if this was my child, surely if a school says “they can’t meet the needs” of the child, battling with them to try to make them change their minds isn’t ideal? Plus what happens if they go “oh ok we maybe can accommodate them” but then it doesn’t work out and the parents have gone against the intitial decision? I mean would this actually happen??
im looking for some words of wisdom-
I’m going to pop to see her tomorrow afternoon and take her some flowers but could do with some advice fellow mumsnetters!