Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Best Noise Cancelling Headphones

8 replies

WokeJokeOpus · 31/08/2020 13:06

Our neighbours are doing a complete house refurbishment. Regular builders, but working occasional weekdays and weekends/Bank Holidays.
9 months and counting (they are just starting on the roof).
It’s a ‘bit much’ tbh, but in the interests of long-term neighbourliness I need something to block out the days of drilling, hammering etc, rather than lose my shit at their ignorance.

What are the best noise cancelling headphones in your experience. I don’t want to play music through them all the time, would rather just hear nothing when I am working or relaxing. Is there a headphone that’s good for that or am I being fanciful?

OP posts:
Please
or

ncdtoday123 · 31/08/2020 13:50

Bumping for you - I'd really like to know the same thing!

Please
or

sonypony · 31/08/2020 13:54

Bose! Brilliant. I spent months in hospital last year and they were so very helpful and worked amazingly well.

Please
or

Polkadotties · 31/08/2020 13:54

AirPod pros

Please
or

sonypony · 31/08/2020 13:55

Although now I have read your post properly some custom fit shooting ear plugs might be ideal.

Please
or

Sunrise85 · 31/08/2020 13:56

Very interesting thread! I’ve just moved into a house for 6 months while we buy another property (had to break the chain!)

And our neighbours children are quite stompy on their wooden stairs (but lovely people! I’d never complain!!)

These headphones sound useful

Smile

Please
or

RoadworksAgain · 31/08/2020 13:56

AirPod pros - I played white noise/the sound of a countryside walk type stuff through mine when we we having work done on our house.

Please
or

HarlanWillYouStopNamingNuts · 31/08/2020 13:58

Agree, Bose are expensive but very effective. I know you don't want music but you might want to try playing a white noise app through them. Noise-cancelling headphones are better at filtering out continuous noise than things like voices, but some white noise will help with that.

Please
or

WokeJokeOpus · 31/08/2020 14:11

Thanks everyone, some good suggestions there!
I only have an iPad, not an iPhone, so I’d have to look at connectivity for the AirPod Pros.
The Bose look luscious!
Harlan I wouldn’t mind music sometimes, it would just have to sound ‘distant’ iyswim. I whack up the Alexas in the house when it gets noisy sometimes but I don’t want Foo Fighters etc blasting out all the time. Sometimes I put on a Forest or Beach sounds app if I’m in one place but it would be handy to have something that travels with me.

I have misophonia and being stuck in this summer has been a nightmare. Can’t even go and visit relatives or book a holiday cottage for a couple of weeks 😞 I have a real physical reaction when I see the builders’ van outside now. They could be more considerate, but hey, until I can afford that house in the middle of nowhere it’s my problem to manage.

OP posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?