Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AMA

Former 999 Call Handler, AMA

31 replies

DontGoJasonWaterfalls · 12/06/2020 23:21

As the title says :) obviously taking patient confidentiality into account.

OP posts:
Lockdownlooks · 13/06/2020 13:20

The MN response was yes A&E but why would you even think of an ambulance, drag yourself to the car/taxi/everyone must have someone they can call on and will be there. I also have some MH issues so even a load of strangers saying you are straining the NHS gets you thinking that way.

PastMyBestBeforeDate · 13/06/2020 13:27

@DontGoJasonWaterfalls things like that must make a big difference to how you feel about the job. It's a shame you don't get more 'feedback'

DontGoJasonWaterfalls · 13/06/2020 13:32

@lockdownlocks my perspective is that if you can get a taxi or get yourself into someone's car, do it - but to save yourself the wait more than because of pressure on the NHS, there will always be people who take advantage of the NHS but I don't think someone with a leg injury falls in that category!

It annoys me when I see people saying "I've hurt my leg/arm/whatever and the ambulance people won't tell me where the ambulance is and it could be 2 hours that's awful" etc etc because I know exactly why it's going to be 2+ hours - cardiac arrests, people choking, things like that - but that's more about people's attitudes than their reason for calling.

OP posts:
Happyfrappe · 02/09/2020 18:44

@DontGoJasonWaterfalls

I know this is an older thread but would you mind sharing how much roughly the shift enhancements bump the salary up to? Thank :)

SwanShaped · 02/09/2020 18:52

Have you ever had someone on the phone while their child has died. That’s what I couldn’t handle.

LutherRalph1 · 04/12/2022 17:28

@DontGoJasonWaterfalls sorry to resurrect such an old thread but I wondered if I can pick your brains. My secret Santa draw this year is a call
Handler and I really don't know much else about her. Is there anything you could recommend for her whilst working at all
Please? Are you allowed your own stationery?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.