Making chocolate muffins is always an easy, weekend activity to do with the kids. These family-friendly muffins are quick to make, and are great with a brew or some milk. Add extra chocolate chips or cocoa powder to double up the taste, too!
- Prep: 5 minutes
- Cook: 20 minutes
- Serves: 12 muffins
- Recipe by: Rainbows17
250g self-raising flour
1 tsp vanilla extract
175g caster sugar
1 large egg
2 tsp baking powder
90ml vegetable oil
2 tbsp cocoa powder
150g chocolate chips plus more for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 200C/Gas Mark 6 and fill a 12 bun muffin tray with paper cases.
- Weigh out the dry ingredients into a large bowl. Pour all the liquid ingredients into a large jug or bowl.
- Mix both bowls together – DO NOT OVERMIX. It will be a lumpy but runny batter. Spoon into the muffin cases.
- Sprinkle more chocolate chips on top and then cook for 20 mins or until risen and springy.
- Dust with icing sugar for a perfect finish.
Try using other ingredients, such as cherries or blackberries for a nice variation.
- Make ahead
- Kids can help
- Breakfast meal
- Nut free
Do you have a recipe you'd like to share? Head to our popular food and recipes Talk board to share and find recipes to try next.