Talk

Advanced search

Communicating and Influencing-Civil service job application/interview

(5 Posts)
mumznet Wed 09-Oct-19 12:03:02

Hi Everyone,

looking at the civil service applications and I don't quite understand this behaviour/competency which is 'Communicating and influencing'. What kinds of example may I use for this, I've done coaching/mentoring and some team leading. Can someone please let me know if I am going in the right direction and please give me any tips as I seem lost where to start?

thank you

Isleepinahedgefund Wed 09-Oct-19 17:21:07

Coaching/ mentoring is a better fit for the leadership competency. For communicating and influencing it needs to be “I needed to communicate x and influence x” - not really what you’re doing when you’re coaching is it!

Think about a situation where you needed to communicate something important upwards in a persuasive way. For example, my last example was based around me being new to a role, realising the delivery framework I was supposed to implement was not fit for purpose and needing to persuade my seniors to allow me to redesign it: “Having realised the existing proposal brought significant legal risks, I needed to communicate those risks to senior management and use my expertise to influence the way the project was taken forward.”

mumznet Wed 09-Oct-19 18:56:10

Thank you for your reply, that is true it would fit leadership or 'developing others' better to use the coaching example. a good example that you gave, I'll try and think of something along those lines, there has been few times I've been to senior leaders to discuss something. so would I add more on how I went about to influence the senior leaders? maybe used good communication, persuading them about the benefits of my idea?

Isleepinahedgefund Wed 09-Oct-19 19:05:15

Yea that's exactly it. Also how you responded to challenge.

Refer to the CS behaviours dictionary and use it as a guide - drop in key words from it too.

What grade is the job?

mumznet Wed 09-Oct-19 21:53:17

thank you, its an HEO grade
okay I'll send you my completed example hopefully and if you get a chance let me know how it sounds. take care thanks

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »