Talk

Advanced search

What is Spartacus?

(17 Posts)
walkingtheplank Fri 18-Nov-16 18:28:01

Excuse my ignorance. Have been reading the trans threads and I feel that I am Spartacus but I don't know what it actually means, where it derives from.

Can any one enlighten me?

HermioneWeasley Fri 18-Nov-16 19:53:18

Spartacus was a Slave who led a rebellion against his slave masters In the film at the end, the roman are trying to find Spartacus to execute him. One by one all the slaves stand up and say "I am Spartacus" to protect him, on the basis that the romans can't execute them all.

Earlier this year MN was deleting posters for calling awful misogynists "he" because they identify as women.

Lots of us objected to this on the basis that using preferred pronouns is a courtesy not a law, and many of us did not wish to extend this courtesy to a person who had called women "cuntscum" and called for lesbians who wouldn't have sex with men to be expelled from their university for transphobia.

As the deletions and suspensions mounted up more and more posters started doing it on the basis they could t delete and suspend all of us, and the Spartacus thread was started. Hundreds of women checked in to say that they believe men aren't women and they wouldn't be bullied and silenced into saying they are.

walkingtheplank Fri 18-Nov-16 23:24:23

Hmm, I thought I replied. Makes sense now. Thank you.

I am Spartacus.

YetAnotherSpartacus Sat 19-Nov-16 08:01:22

I've been curious to know what happened to the banned posters? Were they allowed to come back? I found MN through searching for somewhere critical of the transactivists and the Spartacus threads were some of the first I read.

HermioneWeasley Sat 19-Nov-16 10:44:15

I don't know what's happened to the banned posters, I would hope they've been reinstated but don't actually know if sense prevailed

Datun Sat 19-Nov-16 11:09:16

That Spartacus thread was amazing. I don't know which poster it was who wrote

'I am woman, hear me ROAR'

but it gave me goosebumps.

Xenophile Sat 19-Nov-16 11:41:51

It's from a Helen Reddy song.

Here

I love this version.

YetAnotherSpartacus Sat 19-Nov-16 12:01:17

One of the reasons I went searching for sanity re trans was that I had to interact with a foul individual born male who insisted they were trans. This individual performed hypermasculinity and was latently aggressive. He was also a rape apologist. In the position I was in I had to grit my teeth and pretend he was really a woman - in other words cater to his fantasies. I'd see him smile at me, mocking me while he talked over me and other women yet again. Every night I came home I'd play this clip

www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUvmPfgVTGQ

just to make me feel better.

VestalVirgin Sat 19-Nov-16 12:05:08

That's terrible, YetAnother.
We live in a world where we can be forced to cater to a male's sexual fantasies in public, for everyone to see, and no one (except us few) finds anything wrong with it.

YetAnotherSpartacus Sat 19-Nov-16 12:15:15

Thanks VV ... others (women) did find things wrong with him ... but mainly they 'felt sorry for him' and that coloured their attitudes and behaviours. Gender conditioning again, I guess.

Datun Sat 19-Nov-16 14:10:28

YetAnotherSpartacus

The mind games a misogynistic man could play under the guise of womanhood, is frightening.

to me it's part and parcel with all that bollocks some of them say about women being jealous of their fresh new vaginas, and jealous of their femininity. It's so fucked up.

Hand on heart I have never even considered the vagina of another woman, much less given it any thought and wondered if I'm jealous.

Datun Sat 19-Nov-16 14:31:53

And if you called a transwoman's subtle misogynistic behaviour out, they could claim sexism, because why shouldn't a woman act like a man?

Manumission Sat 19-Nov-16 14:38:10

Oh lord, what is the end game of all of this?

Is feminism actually fucked?

In work situations and so on, so many of us are obliged to perform drinking the koolaid a la yetanother sad

YetAnotherSpartacus Sat 19-Nov-16 14:49:52

He implied he had as much right to lay claim to speaking as a woman, and to be oh so critical of most forms of feminism ... but when he wanted to be critical of anything people did that he didn't like it was usually transphobia that was the accusation. That carries more weight than sexism anyway. But no one could accuse him of being sexist because he was trans. It was the way he was so aggressive and wanted power, but always claimed victimhood that got me. I knew I'd be in trouble if I crossed him, so I never did. But he constantly goaded me, wanting a reaction.

Manumission Sat 19-Nov-16 14:54:12

That sounds unbearable.

And it illustrates how a minority will misuse 'rights'.

VestalVirgin Sat 19-Nov-16 14:55:00

Hand on heart I have never even considered the vagina of another woman, much less given it any thought and wondered if I'm jealous.

Besides, transwomen don't have vaginas. What they have - if they got surgery at all - is surgically constructed holes. I am about as jealous of that as I am of women who were subjected to FGM.

Oh lord, what is the end game of all of this?

To undo all that feminism has achieved and return Europe to a state of unchallenged patriarchy.
I begin to suspect this is actually a conscious plan. Whether or not that is the case, it certainly is where this could end if we don't put a stop to it.

Prawnofthepatriarchy Sat 19-Nov-16 20:06:10

Still Spartacus. So inspired by the intelligent insight displayed in these threads.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now