Talk

Advanced search

Met Office Heavy rain warnings Sat 27th July into Sunday

(21 Posts)
OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 26-Jul-19 10:50:38

Covering a huge swathe, including all of Eastern England, Northern England and a good part of southern Scotland

www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/warnings-and-advice/uk-warnings#?date=2019-07-27&id=2dedba7f-8988-45ce-855a-39738b8e5b22&details
Up to 100mm of rain in places. shock Surface Flash flooding is likely in places.

GloriaSmud Fri 26-Jul-19 11:06:05

Looks like being a grim weekend for us but at least my pond and water butts are going to get some water in them, as some of them are nearly empty!

OhYouBadBadKitten Fri 26-Jul-19 11:17:58

That's true. I'd hoped to be able to get out for a long bike ride. But given I'm utterly exhausted it might be a good thing that I can't.

IrenetheQuaint Sat 27-Jul-19 06:32:16

Oh God, I am doing a long-distance hike in Yorkshire. The weather forecast was fine when I left home and yesterday!

TheoriginalLEM Sat 27-Jul-19 06:36:58

Kitten - i want to go camping next week. Provisionally Scotland but weather looks ropey. Where would be the best bet weather wise.

ExpletiveDelighted Sat 27-Jul-19 07:08:02

We're outside that area but it's raining steadily and no wind to speak of so likely to carry on. Supposed to be helping at an outdoor event today.

TheFatberg Sat 27-Jul-19 07:09:30

Heavy rain overnight here in the NE, but it seems to have stopped for now. Hoping it won't be as bad as they say.

SquirmOfEels Sat 27-Jul-19 07:18:09

Steady, rather than heavy, rain here in my bit of London at the moment.

But a weather warning for heavy rain later (between 0900 - 1500) has just popped up

Good for plants, and nice to have the pollen washed away.

(PS: has the Cambridge Thursday temperature been verified yet?)

FaithFrank Sat 27-Jul-19 08:55:29

They were right about the heavy and persistent rain for us. It has been going for a few hours and shows no sign of easing up.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 27-Jul-19 09:24:21

The cambridge temp will be verified next week I believe. The met office need to visit the site and check all is accurate.

I think the warning area for heavy rain may be refined a little eastwards in the south.

LEM It's quite a messy picture and I wouldn't like to try and forecast this far out I'm afraid.

nannynick Sat 27-Jul-19 09:53:24

Good day for a trip to a theme park... maybe not but I don't think I have a choice - can't turn down work as I'm getting so little at the moment.
With luck it won't pour down at Chessington.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 27-Jul-19 10:13:48

It may well be wet this morning, but it's a good time to do the water rides!

nannynick Sat 27-Jul-19 15:20:04

Good time for all the rides. Queues are very short which is unusual for a Saturday afternoon.

GloriaSmud Sun 28-Jul-19 19:15:43

Truly awful weekend here (Leicester) ~ I think out of the 2 days, we had an hour yesterday morning when it wasn't raining. My water butt is now full and I think it's safe to say that the allotment won't need watering for the rest of the year a while.

BBC report on flooding.

GloriaSmud Sun 28-Jul-19 19:18:22

And next week looks unsettled too.

DeathMetalMum Sun 28-Jul-19 19:29:39

We've had heavy rain since Friday eve in Cheshire.

DeathMetalMum Sun 28-Jul-19 19:43:00

Oops posted too soon! It really has been horrible. We've got more rain and thunder storms forecast for later in the week at the moment. Our garden is slightly flooded!

TokyoSushi Sun 28-Jul-19 20:43:34

Awful here, also Cheshire, raining heavily now and only stopped for about half an hour all day.

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Tue 30-Jul-19 03:18:15

I’m back smile looks & sounds like it’s been a pretty spectacular 7 days over here between heat & storms!

Just checked my weather & we’re due thunderstorms today. This probably sounds awful but after a week of 38-40 & not a cloud in the sky I’m looking forward to possibly need trousers/jeans.

georgedawes Sat 03-Aug-19 13:42:44

Any forecast for Whaley Bridge? Just so worried that the reservoir will fill again quickly sad

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 03-Aug-19 19:59:05

There is unfortunately a chance for some heavy rain tomorrow afternoon evening with thunderstorms moving in. As ever though, predicting the exact location storms will form is impossible and they tend to be very localised so fingers crossed.....

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »