Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone use Tails.com for their dogs food?

(7 Posts)
TheCunnyFunt Sun 26-Jul-15 11:32:14

Just wondering if they're any good. I can't see why they'd be bad if they tailor make the food though.

WeAllHaveWings Sun 26-Jul-15 23:14:45

Looks like a gimmick to me. The tailor made food for my lab I wouldn't feed him, chicken is a cheap meat, its filled with beet pulp and gravy digest. Added salt, First food had grains including maize so I had to go back and exclude.

Tells me to feed >400g a day which is much more than my current food and its more expensive than current higher quality food.

cleowasmycat Sun 02-Aug-15 23:38:32

My pug loves it. He's not putting on weight and all seems good. Delivery and measure scoop v handy.

cleowasmycat Sun 02-Aug-15 23:38:59

Should point it pug eats grain free.

WeAllHaveWings Mon 03-Aug-15 09:50:41

undoubtedly dogs will love it because its got flavour enhancers in it like salt and the undefined "gravy" digest which could be anything.

For the cost to feed per day there or many higher quality foods without the extra nasties.

cleowasmycat Fri 07-Aug-15 19:12:44

I asked about the gravy and chicken and was told this :
Thank you for getting in touch. I am very sorry to hear that you have been unable to exclude chicken from Hennessey's blend.

I have checked your account and this is because you have also excluded 'grain' from his food. Our grain free range of kibbles are chicken flavoured at the moment, but we are constantly improving and expanding our variety and hope to be able to provide a suitable alternative in the future.

Much like the gravy we have on our Sunday roasts, the gravy we use on our kibbles is made by processing meat, offal and bones, and is generally used as a coating on the kibble to make sure the nutritious food tastes delicious to your dog.

WeAllHaveWings Fri 07-Aug-15 21:19:21

From their 1000s of recipes a chicken and grain free option is not available. Most dog owners want grain free and chicken, cheap meat, is an allergen for a lot of dogs and they don't cater for it in their 1000's of recipes.

Gravy Digest is a big red flag in dog foods, they aren't specifying lamb digest, or beef digest that's a secret hmm. It is nothing like the gravy you get from your Sunday roast.

Digest is widely used to improve the taste of dog foods. It is formed from the breakdown of animal tissue through chemical or enzymatic hydrolysis and is therefore sometimes listed as hydrolysate. Digest is a controversial ingredient mostly due to the way it is produced. The process of chemical/enzymatic hydrolysis is far from what most people would regard as 'natural' and it is therefore widely criticised.........

Nothing in their foods (apart from the gimmicky online options and packaging with ddogs name on it) justifies the steep price.

Bet if you asked they'd even have a reason for added salt.........

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now