Talk

Advanced search

🐌 Fantastic Skincare: Shitting About All Day Discussing Co Dictionary

(869 Posts)
botemp Sat 08-Jun-19 19:24:48

Thread 1 Thread 2 Thread 3 Thread 4 Thread 5 Thread 6 Thread 7 Thread 8 Thread 9 Thread 10
Thread 11 Thread 12 Thread 13 Thread 14 Thread 15 Thread 16 Thread 17 Thread 18

For those who are taking a peek and wondering what this all about, we mostly discuss a bit of advanced skincare here with a perspective of seeking out the right ingredients (rather than the latest new shiny product and all its empty promises) for our particular skin needs. Distinguishing the acid toners from the actives whilst avoiding the truly unimpressive and harmful ingredients with a hope to achieve a bit of anti-ageing, alleviate irritation and sensitivities with some idle chat in between. Newcomers are always welcome but please note the following:

Questions and asking for help on this thread is encouraged, however, we can’t give you a specific routine to follow and hope it works out for the best. There are no overnight miracles in skincare whether it be in the form of products or techniques. It’s about perseverance, understanding your skin, assessing its needs and responding to that in a diligent manner.

These threads were created to help those who want to learn for themselves. We’re a group of interested and invested skincare nuts happy to offer tea and sympathy and dole out advice. Everyone’s journey with skincare is different, what is universal and binds us is that through actually learning about the different active ingredients it helps us get to know our skin and help us adapt as it will change many times throughout our lives - with seasons, hormonal changes, ageing, genetics etc. It's in everyone's best interests to get to know their skin and to keep reviewing those changes with the confidence that comes from the gathered knowledge here. We really encourage you to spend the time reading through previous threads and linked info sheets that the many contributors have taken the trouble to share.

By no means are we experts, we're only a bunch of amateurs that can only respond by suggesting what we would do in your place, for any severe conditions please seek out professional help.

Ahem, and finally a little note on spending. I'm well aware these threads cause many to reach for their wallets and spend with wild abandon. There can sometimes be a bit of a frenzy surrounding the excitement around a newly discovered product or on the back of great improvements when someone reports back. This is all great, it doesn't however, mean everything that's a sudden miracle for one will be it for you. Usually, it's a light bulb moment for connecting the right skincare ingredient with an individual experiencing a specific problem. Take your time to mull over decisions and question whether it's right for you too. Skincare is highly individual, it's a slow game that should cost mostly in patience, input, education, and perseverance. Please don't make it cost you financially needlessly.

I am very slowly working on consolidating the gathered information from previous threads into easier to read formats but it’s slow going. I would suggest reading thread 1 and at the very least the following info sheets (provided they apply to you):

Where to Start

Basics of an Actives Routine

Skin Types vs. Skin Conditions Info Sheet

Anti-Ageing Info sheet

Adult Acne Info Sheet

Understanding Which Sunscreen(s) to Buy

Do I Really Need to Wear Sunscreen Every Single Day of the Year?

A Damaged Skin Barrier - Now What?

NEW SERIES:

So You Want To Buy A Retinoid - A Guide

JUNE 2019: Autocorrect is our main source of entertainment these days wink at least our snouts are looking good 🐽

SallieSallow Sat 08-Jun-19 20:27:54

Thank you Bo, loving the title grin grin grin and the 🐽 reference!

JDTSER knowing our luck we’d pay £295 and still end up with ‘Meh it’s not doing much’. That glamglow supermud was one of those products I had Very High Hopes for, it was pretty good but nothing wow/omg/amazing as per usual.

@missmartini hope you’ve found us on our new thread as I want to tell you off for using wipes grin I’m really reluctant to recommend anything for you as I know so little about rosacea but definitely ditch the wipes and get a proper wash off cleanser. Lush do one called ultrabland if you like & can tolerate their products, I’ve never used it though. A lot of us here use and like la Roche posay toleriane hydrating cleanser and cerave do a hydrating cleanser too which I’ve also used and liked, both of these last two are very mild and gentle so I think they’d be fine for you.

Do you wear makeup and SPF? If so you’ll need to double cleanse to make sure you’ve removed it all.

If that lush moisturiser is working well for you/doesn’t irritate your rosacea then I’d probably just keep using it, if you aren’t using an SPF right now then you need one ASAP (at least a factor 30) especially at this time of year. This is where I’m wary of recommending anything though in as SPFs can be irritating. I use this one in winter which is a ‘soothing’ one aimed at sensitive skin so might be worth looking at
www.bioderma.com/en/our-products/cicabio/spf-50

EnidButton Sat 08-Jun-19 23:18:08

missM I'll have to go back and read your posts but just wanted to say my DH has rosacea, on the mild side but enough that it flares up and bothers him. He's seeing a derm next month about it. He's having some good improvement using

Anyway, testing your skin very gently as sensitive skin is a good start. No very hot water or rubbing. It's definitely not your fault or anything you have or haven't done. flowers

JD Hope you like it. It's a very small pot but I hardly used any 🐽 so hopefully it lasts a while.

Used the L'Oréal hair mask tonight. Really like it. Very thick mayonnaise type consistency which I like. Left roots quite light and lifted which I wasn't expecting. Ends feel moisturised and hair is feeling stronger with shine. Good stuff. Will leave it on longer than the recommended 3-5 mins next time.

m.lookfantastic.com/l-oreal-professionnel-absolut-repair-lipidium-masque-250ml/10965451.html?affil=thggpsad&switchcurrency=GBP&shippingcountry=GB&shoppingpid=BF17_loreal_professionnel&thg_ppc_campaign=71700000048706512&adtype=pla&product_id=10965451&gclid=CIfSmvX02uICFVm71QodHx0BNQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

EnidButton Sat 08-Jun-19 23:20:47

*He's having some good improvement using Metronidazole, an antibiotic gel. On prescription only but from a normal gp.

Sorry, I meant to fill that bit in.

EnidButton Sat 08-Jun-19 23:21:35

Testing your skin = treating your skin

Think it's time I called it a night. 😬

openupmyeagereyes Sun 09-Jun-19 07:48:46

Thanks for the new thread Bo

Is anyone tempted by Dr Sam’s night serum? I definitely would be if I wasn’t using Tretinoin. I’ve not been wowed by the other items I’ve tried - the cleanser I found drying after a while plus the consistency was not suited to the dispenser IMO. The sunscreen goes on great but I find it drying after a few hours and it accentuated fine lines and made my make up patchy. A real shame. I think the serum is still worth a try. I haven’t tried the moisturiser as it was expensive compared to Cerave PM.

I’ve been off my tret for about a week. I had a reaction to either the P50W or PC BHA and came up with itchy red lumps on my lower cheeks and jaw area. That seems to be how I react to things now, very annoying. So I pared back and last night used the 0.025 tret over Cerave PM and I’ll take it easy again.

I’ve ordered the glam glow mask for my nose too grin

Where are you buying the LRP hydrating cleanser from? I can’t seem to find it.

openupmyeagereyes Sun 09-Jun-19 08:03:44

I ordered the glam glow from Boots. If you buy the full size you get the 15ml as a GWP.

banivani Sun 09-Jun-19 08:55:41

The 50 ml size is on offer here in a local chain I see ...

botemp Sun 09-Jun-19 10:14:29

Glamglow mask is definitely one of those products I side eye for actually being really good. I hate the ridiculously nauseating copy edit on their products, the stupid high price, the useless tea leaves, and the big jar dries up before you can use it up but it delivers beyond expectation on the old snout. Sephora in France often have the tube versions, not sure how much is in those maybe 10 or 20ml but they last a bit longer than the jars. I also tried the black one but that never impressed me much.

Martini, as above wipes aren't a proper cleanse and they're really not a great choice for rosacea as you're tugging on your skin too much and as little friction as possible is best with rosacea. I'd be cautious about the cerave hydrating cleanser mentioned above as I know it can be irritating to some. Similarly the Toleriane hydrating cleanser contains niacinamide which in theory is great for rosacea but can be irritating to some. The Toleriane dermo cleanser may be a safer choice, rinse off and pat (not rub) dry. Avene extremely gentle cleanser also a good option and I've heard good things about Paula's Choice redness relief cleanser for normal/oily skin for people with rosacea, I'm not sure how well liked the normal/dry version is though. Sallie I'm not sure on ultrabland, I've never used it but isn't that supposed to require a fair amount of effort (ie. unnecessary friction that you'd want to avoid with rosacea) and prone to leaving a film? Others with rosacea have also had success with sea buckthorn soap bars but you need to be quite cautious what you buy.

I'd stick to cleansing once a day, if you want to cleanse in the morning just splash a bit of tepid water or thermal water spray.

While I do think it's good to get an SPF in I'd say stick to mineral only, and probably an SPF 30 rather than 50 for daily use. The Clinique one is quite nice and you should be able to get a sample easily at one of the counters.

There are some ingredients I question in the lush cream, mostly because I've never come across them, like vanilla water, and that sounds like a fragrant compound to me (which you'd want to avoid with rosacea) but at least the ingredient list is small so that's good. Is it working for you as you're still complaining about a very dry forehead? Urea 5% cream from Eucerin would be good for that, not sure how well suited it is to rosacea though, in theory it should be okay. More tailored to rosacea is the Eucerin anti redness moisturiser.

Open, tbh I hadn't even realised she has another product out. I've not been paying much attention to her as her video content seems to have veered from more in depth topics to general click baitiness of 5 things a dermatologist would never do, etc. I'll have a look in a bit.

LRP Toleriane hydrating cleanser usually bought from Easyparapharmacie on here.

EnidButton Sun 09-Jun-19 10:22:38

Urea 5% cream from Eucerin would be good for that, not sure how well suited it is to rosacea though

Anecdotal but DH used this after his allergic reaction and it was very good at 'calming' everything down including the rosacea.

I've started a snout trend grin Just to be clear (!) it's the one in the pic that I used. No idea what the others are like. (They even do glitter ones! 🧐)

EnidButton Sun 09-Jun-19 10:23:45

DH used this I mean the Eucerin 5%urea cream. The giant pic makes it look like I mean the face mask.

openupmyeagereyes Sun 09-Jun-19 10:37:33

I can’t find it on easyparaphamacie, if anyone can link it I’d be grateful.

botemp Sun 09-Jun-19 10:43:57

It's this one, open, sorry for the confusion we refer to it as the hydrating one on here as that's what it's called in the US (I think) and was exclusively available there for a while. Or we've just dubbed it that for no good reason confused

www.easyparapharmacie.co.uk/toleriane-caring-wash-400-mlanti-discomfort-anti-dryness-sensitive-skins-la-roche-posay.html

MustBeThin Sun 09-Jun-19 11:35:38

Hello everyone! I've pooped in and out of these threads a few time but never really have much to contribute as I'm not all that knowledgeable about skincare ingredient or anything but I read all of the posts.

Just want to say MissM I have rosacea, I use cerave hydrating cleanser and the eucerin 5% urea cream. I have pretty dry skin and find that if I'm not properly hydrated and on top of the dryness then my rosacea looks more red and flushes a lot more. My biggest flush triggers for my cheeks are stress/anxiety, my nose can flush when I have a hot or spicy meal but will mostly flush if i have a hot drink after 9pm.

The sun cream I have used for a long time is Coola mineral cucumber spf30, recently though I've been trying out the Australian Gold minerl Botanical Tinted spf50. I'm really liking it so far, its tinted so evens out my skin tone and even though I'm casper white it doesn't make me look orange. I'm not sure whether the ingredients are any good but so far its seems ok for my skin.

A month a go a started using the medik8 Retinoate every other night and it actually seems to be doing something for the bumps I get, my skin tone looks better and is pretty smooth. (Touch wood its stays that way) my skin texture had been dodgy in places since February for some reason but it seems to be helping a lot.

What's everyone's views on CBD oil applied topically for the skin? I bought a bottle of the Disciple stuff from cult beauty a few months ago out of desperation for two dodgy patches of skin I had, one under my eye and the other at the corner of my mouth. The patches were dry and pink and wouldn't clear up no matter how much I moisturised. After a few applications they almost vanished and if I stopped using it for a few days they started to come back. The patch at the corner of my mouth was like something I'd had twice before that only fucidin from the doctors has cleared up but I really didn't want to go about it this time. The patches have totally gone now but after the success and reading that hemp seed oil is non comedogenic I've started applying a few drops all over my cheeks and nose as part of my skin care. Everything seems more settled and calm and my skin is more hydrated.

MustBeThin Sun 09-Jun-19 11:38:23

Hahahahahah pooped 😂😂 I really should read through before I post.

openupmyeagereyes Sun 09-Jun-19 11:38:57

Ah, that makes sense. Thank you.

I actually have this one but I do find it drying. I was hoping the hydrating one (in the us style packaging) was a better version of the dermo cleanser, i.e. a cream or lotion. I might try the dermo cleanser again. I do like the PC one I’m using but it doesn’t blow me away (I’m another one where nothing seems to, must have skin beyond hope!) and I’d like to find something a bit cheaper.

I have combo skin but it’s dehydrated hence it dries out easily.

SallieSallow Sun 09-Jun-19 13:02:13

Bo I know absolutely nothing about Lush grin I can’t go near one of their stores without wheezing and my eyes streaming! I only mentioned it as missm seemed to be getting on ok with their moisturiser and it’s described as calming, gentle and soothing. But sounds like it’s probably best a first cleanse only, especially if it’s ‘filmy’.
uk.lush.com/products/ultrabland

Mustbe CBD oil is another thing I know little about, I’ve heard from friends in the US that’s it’s good for treating a whole host of things and is medically prescribed for certain conditions, but theirs has a much higher cannabis content which would be classed as illegal over here.

I’ve just had an ad for toleriane pop up on YouTube, in all these years of talking about it on here and buying/using it I’ve only now found out that I’ve been pronouncing it completely wrong blush

JDSTER Sun 09-Jun-19 13:36:38

open, I too hadn’t noticed Dr Sam had a new product out. I’ve not tried any of that line. None of it particularly appealed, other than perhaps the SPF but pretty pricey.
The serum I see has Granactive Retinoid, niacinamide and azelaic and another ingredient I hadn’t heard of. I won’t be buying it. I already use a retinoid and niacinamide containing products.

I’m still upset about formulation of my beloved Biore bright milk spf changing. It does dry down and settles after a few minutes but its so greasy looking when you first apply it sad I loved it for its beautiful matte finish when you first applied it.

JDSTER Sun 09-Jun-19 13:39:59

Oh, I meant to say I’ve just finished my last bottle of DE Vitamin C serum. I’ve had 3 bottles altogether. I’ve liked it and it hasn’t caused any problems but I’m going to try timesless next I think. I do have a bottle of NIODD copper isolate stuff hanging around. Not mixed yet (comes in a powder and liquid and mix them yourself then keep in fridge). I’m going to use that up first.

YesQueen Sun 09-Jun-19 14:54:33

Just grabbed the shiseido controlled chaos mascara for £13 smile I've heard good things about it so thought it was worth a go!

mintmagnummm Sun 09-Jun-19 16:46:46

Place marking 😁

TantricTwist Mon 10-Jun-19 01:02:27

Thanks for the new thread Bo great title as always.

grin at mustbethin who has pooped in and out if the thread - quite befits the title

Elloello Mon 10-Jun-19 09:29:48

Hello, I've dipped in and out of these threads for help and last September I started following the extra gentle routine for rebuilding your skins natural protection. I'm not completely clear of rosacea, but it has made a world of difference and I don't get the same instant crackling up of skin as soon as I get out of the shower.
I bought a bottle of the bioderma f50 photoderm spray at the time but found it a bit white and it was balling up a little so I got a lrp comfort sun protection instead. Just going through my bottles and thought I'd try the bioderma one this morning, it doesn't smell great though. A bit oily, not fresh oil. Has it gone off? I know it's fragrance free but I can just smell old oil and I'm wondering if its no good anymore. Anyone else use this stuff and can advise? Thanks.

banivani Mon 10-Jun-19 13:59:33

Pooping in to say thank you for the thread, but I don't understand the title blush

Bought the glamglow [sheep]

Ello - sorry, I can't say. But if I think things smell bad or have an unpleasant texture I'm convinced I get spots and then I do. I call it reverse placebo. wink

SallieSallow Mon 10-Jun-19 18:30:39

I missed the pooping grin

Bani the title is from an autocorrect by Enid can’t remember what she was trying to say but it came out as co dictionary. Shitting about all day came from me, autocorrect for sitting blush not on here but I mentioned it here after seeing Enid’s co dictionary smile

Ello I don’t use that particular Bioderma spf but if you opened it last September I’d say yes it’s gone off, especially if it’s smelling old.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »