bridesmaids' dresses

(22 Posts)
nearlyhellokitty Tue 01-Mar-16 12:48:08

sooo. debating a few options and having a dilemma. it's for my teenage/ early 20s nieces. I'm going for a 30s style champagne silk dress. Long, maybe low back, bit of drapery. It's currently in process of being made!

Considering Lori May dresses (Coast) www.coast-stores.com/p/lori-may-short-dress/1483650 - the short version/ blue/ dark purple

Has anyone used JJsHouse? Because this could be a simple option? www.jjshouse.co.uk/A-Line-Princess-Square-Neckline-Knee-Length-Chiffon-Bridesmaid-Dress-With-Ruffle-007045439-g45439

Would much appreciate any thoughts!

nearlyhellokitty Tue 01-Mar-16 19:09:15

Bump!

LadyPriggsbottom Tue 01-Mar-16 19:43:21

I prefer the second one. smile.

I don't like the Coast one very much personally - think it's the waistband with the tie at the back or the length is a bit off or something. Also, think it might not be quite right for a teenager, but then I don't know her so could be wrong of course!

nearlyhellokitty Tue 01-Mar-16 21:37:16

Thanks Lady !! (Fantastic non)

nearlyhellokitty Tue 01-Mar-16 21:37:56

Ahem 'nn' not 'non'

Notsosmartagain Tue 01-Mar-16 21:43:27

Tbh I don't think either of these styles tie in with your style of wedding dress. I imagine your dress will be elegant and classy and the dresses you have linked are more of a fun style associated with later decades. Are you set on a shorter length?

Snarklepoo Tue 01-Mar-16 21:50:44

Stay away from JJ's House. Do some googling for reviews etc and you'll find this amongst others may be a rip off site based in China. Many of the photos on these sites are lifted straight off legitimate designers/retailers sites and having researched, I found that many of the dresses which did turn up with customers were poor imitations of the originals.

Case of buyer beware and if it looks too good to be true, then generally it is.

Coast dresses are all generally lovely.

I bought BM's first dress online in Debenhams sale for £29 reduced from £100. BM subsequently purchased another off the rack at a local bridal shop (could start another thread on this)

Congrats on your wedding and have fun with it, but don't risk your big day on dodgy suppliersgrin

nearlyhellokitty Tue 01-Mar-16 21:58:42

Hello snarklepoo thanks for the info! This is what I was wondering about jj's house so thank you

nearlyhellokitty Tue 01-Mar-16 22:02:51

Notsosmart I know what you mean but the bridesmaids are pretty young - it's in the summer and not massively formal etc. plus the long coast dress eg is getting pretty expensive.. Plus I'm not such a massive fan of the kind of Grecian long dresses ifswim and am going for the navy type colours rather than pastel so the coast dress is what I've found so far ..

Snarklepoo Tue 01-Mar-16 22:12:34

There are a few out there. If you're looking at them, check for contact information. If it's of non UK origin, I'd be very wary.

BM dresses seem to be hideously costly for what they are when you get up close to them, especially those sold through bridal shops.

I'm only having one BM and said effectively that she could wear anything she wanted, so it wasn't so difficult as having lots of BM's of different ages/shapes. What I did think was that keeping styles, fabrics etc very simple looked better. Have you thought about multiway dresses? Twobirds do a short version.

My BM has picked dark blue like the two you posted. Hopefully this will be an easy colour to mix and match.

Only a week and a half to go now and thoroughly enjoyed the planning. Very best wishes to you for a happy run up to your wedding, Kittyflowers

Snarklepoo Tue 01-Mar-16 22:15:14

Oops! Cross posted about multiway/ Grecian style dresses. Lots on ASOS too.

herecomesthsun Tue 01-Mar-16 22:23:05

yes ASOS

nearlyhellokitty Tue 01-Mar-16 22:32:08

Good luck snarklepoo !

Here - I do love that asos dress but it's got a pretty low back and suspect would not fit with my nieces who'd need to wear a proper bra. Also like the asos Kate dress but out of stock

nearlyhellokitty Tue 01-Mar-16 22:49:27

Hmmm wondering about http://be.nextdirect.com/en/g6n2020s1#352962

LadyPriggsbottom Wed 02-Mar-16 20:32:02

I really like the one you posted most recently OP. It would allow for bra too.

HappinessLivesHere Thu 03-Mar-16 11:36:55

I'm in my 20s and absolutely LOVE the Coast one, it's beautiful. The second one looks really cheap (sorry!).

nearlyhellokitty Thu 03-Mar-16 14:44:05

thanks for all the input! in the end I think I'll ask the bridesmaids-to-be...

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Thu 03-Mar-16 15:33:51

How old are they? Old enough to be told a budget, some guidelines [about covering bra straps, not showing too much skin, preferred colour etc] and to get looking?
You might be quite surprised at what they will find ?

Freya888 Thu 03-Mar-16 16:01:26

the 1st one is better

nearlyhellokitty Thu 03-Mar-16 20:25:22

Hello well I did already ask the bridesmaids to have a look but nothing was really happening :-) in the end they went for the coast dress

LadyPriggsbottom Thu 03-Mar-16 21:20:51

Ah that's good you have a decision OP! I was only being picky when I said I wasn't keen. I'm sure they'll look perfect and it does suit your theme I think.

All the best for the big day!

nearlyhellokitty Fri 04-Mar-16 21:36:04

No worries lady!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now