Talk

Advanced search

Going to visit potential infants school Monday. What are the important questions?

(4 Posts)
ButterfliesAreWeird Sat 02-Dec-17 22:24:45

It's the first one we're going to see so I'm worried I'll not ask everything I need to. What are the important questions that I need to remember to ask?

CrmbleBee Sun 03-Dec-17 09:08:56

What's the behaviour policy? Which phonics scheme do they use? How do they tackle incidences of bullying? Do they group children by ability in sets or on tables (many do, personally I think this has a negative impact on self esteem as even the year ones pick up on this), do they allow birthday/Christmas celebrations (I know of schools that don't due to pupils who are Jehovah's witnesses), what interventions do they run, how many TAs per class are there? What's the average class size, do they use sweets/treats as a reward...?

ButterfliesAreWeird Sun 03-Dec-17 19:34:57

Thanks! I hadn't thought of some of them!

BackforGood Tue 05-Dec-17 23:22:49

It will also depend on your dc's SEN.
What happens at dinner time (if there are food allergies or food sensitivities or sensory issues around noise or smell)
What happens about PE (if there are physical or mobility or sensory issues)
What happens about toileting (if this might be an issue)
What happens as he moves up the school (don't be swayed only by what happens in Reception - they will be at school for 7 years).
What happens at playtimes / lunch break (if their needs are about social, communication or interaction skills)

Can you tell me about individual adaptations you've made for pupils in recent months or years ?
Is your SENCo class based ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now