Talk

Advanced search

What's with all the user+numbers names?

(44 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

BIWI Thu 19-May-16 20:20:31

I've noticed a lot of posters recently posting with names like user123456 (usually a collection of seemingly random numbers).

Why is this? Don't people get the option to choose their own names these days?

I think it's one of the joys of this site, seeing the creativity and wit that many posters show when choosing their names!

DonkeyOaty Thu 19-May-16 20:35:00

I dunno. Is odd. I love a great new user name. Ofc I can't recall it RIGHT NOW but I saw one yesterday that made me snurk with pleasure.

Sparklingbrook Thu 19-May-16 20:44:09

A while ago it was assumed that a new username had to have a number I think, not sure exactly why.

As for the usernames such as user987654321 etc I think people are in a hurry to sign up and comment sometimes.

DonkeyOaty Thu 19-May-16 20:48:01

And ofc our lovely Sparklers here ^ ^ ^ ^ found me this name. In fact not even tempted to change shock [inveterate name changer] [remembers stuff like St G's quizzes and Cod's Challenges and whatnot from when all round here was fields]

Chlobee87 Thu 19-May-16 20:51:26

I had a ton of problems signing up and this was about the 5th username I had to try before it would accept it. I also had issues with the password. It's like there's a formula (minimum no of capitals, numbers, symbols etc.) but it didn't tell me what it was. I just had to guess until I got one that worked.

FruStefanOla Thu 19-May-16 21:01:14

Yes you can choose your own NN, but the little box 'suggests' that you need numbers in your name too. Some people take the 'suggestion' literally. It's not necessary at all.

BIWI Thu 19-May-16 21:26:39

I don't mean 'username' as a shorthand for a name like yours Chlobee, I mean literally username989900384729!

PresidentOliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 19-May-16 21:41:06

Oooh I dunno BIWI
Will 'ave a look.

BIWI Thu 19-May-16 22:07:14

I don't think it's anything underhand, Olivia! I just wondered, as I've seen it several times over the last few weeks/months.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 19-May-16 22:14:31

Could it be something to do with this?

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/site_stuff/2640300-Missing-usernames-sometimes

I'm wondering if somehow sometimes the site glitches and shows either no username, or the user ID instead of the username (I suspect everyone has both?)

PresidentOliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 19-May-16 23:28:54

Will get Tech to investigate.
Thanks Biwi
(I have not had any snackage this evening halo)

Hydroshield Fri 20-May-16 00:14:24

Always thought it was a Troll Trick. Now I'll get deleted for troll hunting when I'm not even... wink

FruStefanOla Fri 20-May-16 07:08:00

When you go in to register a NN there's a little red message which pops up saying something along the lines of using upper and lower case and using some numbers too. It's the sort of standard message you might get on any website when you're setting up a password. But ....

.... "the code is more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules." grin

You can completely ignore it though and it will let you register a NN without numbers. Maybe some people don't realise this.

firesidechat Fri 20-May-16 07:11:40

Lots of trolls have name plus number, although not all posters with names like that are trolls and not all trolls have names like that.

There is only one poster that I've seen with all numbers and they've been here a long time now.

Yes I think the phrasing is ambiguous so people think they have to. On a previous thread a lot of people said they definitely did have to, but I'm not sure they were correct, I think it was just that they tried a lot of NNs which were already taken and it wasn't until hey got to one with numerals that they found a valid one.

Sparklingbrook Fri 20-May-16 07:30:29

Not sure why some of them have quite so many numbers after the name. I wonder if they just got fed up of trying different ones and went for the maximum.

BIWI Fri 20-May-16 07:41:12

To be clear, I don't mean names like:

Jane8205
or
Michelle1994

but names that are literally:

username279283908
username1235325
username143404859604

I've tried to find posts to show you what I mean, but frustratingly haven't seen any since I started this thread grin

SandyMcSandface Fri 20-May-16 08:04:23

Prob to do with thread going to be fine linked to.

NotYoda Fri 20-May-16 15:48:18

I am always alert for trolling when I see names with numbers

Unfairly, it seems

WickedLazy Fri 20-May-16 15:57:17

"There is only one poster that I've seen with all numbers and they've been here a long time now"

If it's all 0's and 1's, it's probably the poster refered to as "binary". (It was explained on a thread once that the numbers refer to binary code).

I've also wondered about username86438 etc before. I assume people sign up quickly to comment, and put username plus numbers as they can't think of anything else, then when they get hooked, end up name changing.

DawnMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 20-May-16 19:27:37

Hi BIWI,

So sorry for the delay here.

As far as I'm aware, the usernames with all the numbers in are temporary ones given when someone joins the site using the app.

Once their account has been verified, they're able to go in and assign themselves a proper username, but not everyone does this immediately, which is why you'll see a few username12345 ones knocking around from time to time.

I'll check to see if it's possible that any app-joiners can get sent a reminder to change their random number names to something more meaningful! grin

GibbousHologram Fri 20-May-16 19:32:30

Verified?!?!?

Are you going round their house to check they are who they say they are?

nickelbabe Fri 20-May-16 19:37:23

Damn right Gibbous ! It's the only way to kkeep this place safe.

DawnMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 20-May-16 19:41:56

GibbousHologram

Verified?!?!?

Are you going round their house to check they are who they say they are?

Absolutely. Have we not been round to yours yet, Gibbous? Expect a knock any time now...

Nah, only kidding. We meant once the email address has been verified. smile

WickedLazy Fri 20-May-16 19:42:13

I would imagine verified by e-mail grin looks out window for mnhq spies

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now