Talk

Advanced search

NHS Job Application form - any NHS people who do recruitment out there

(7 Posts)
RedEvie Sun 22-Jan-12 10:17:35

I am applying for an NHS admin job. Have filled out all the form and done personal statement and the form has come out incredibly long. This is because I have had lots of jobs and I have swapped in and out of the NHS and had several career breaks to have kids/ do house renovation etc.

I want to get all my NHS stuff on there so have got to put down most of the jobs so that I don't have big holes everywhere but am not sure which is more important - the job duties bits or the personal statement.

Which bits do the people shortlisting actually read - will they just do a quick flick through the jobs bit and concentrate on the personal statement?

Can I highlight my most relevent experience in bits of personal statement and just do broad brush descriptions of jobs such as "in charge of all administration duties for this small charity"?

QueenofWhatever Sun 22-Jan-12 17:26:02

I'm a recruiting manager in the NHS and I would definitely say the personal statement is the most important bit. But I would caution against making it too long especially for an admin job as most jobs get vast numbers of applicants now.

The way we tend to shortlist is to sit with the person spec and check each applicant off against the key criteria, usually 5-7, usually a 1, 2, 3 on a scale. However if you have 80-100 forms in front of you (this is increasingly typical), you tend to scan quite quickly.

Feel free to PM me if you want me to have a quick look at your application.

ginmakesitallok Sun 22-Jan-12 17:28:45

Agree with Queen - the personal statement is the most important bit, but keep it short, to the point and relevant to the job you are applying for.

RedEvie Mon 23-Jan-12 16:37:55

Thanks for the info. I have found NHS jobs thing a bit frustrating because you can't seem to do any proper formatting apart from capital letters. I did my personal statement - laid it all nicely with headings for all the bits of the person spec and bold/ underlining and bullet points, posted it on the website and now its all in one font.

Gah!!!

ajmaeen Wed 19-Feb-14 16:18:04

Hi there, I just knew you work for NHS.I am going to apply a job in NHS , would mind to have a look in my application form.please

ajmaeen Wed 19-Feb-14 16:18:54

looking forward to hearing from you.

kind regards

ajmaeen

Helpermonkey1 Mon 10-Mar-14 09:50:33

Hi, I'm applying to the nursing and auxiliary bank. Would you be able to give me some key words for my personal statement that will help me stand out? I'm a home carer at the moment and would love to work in hospitals. I haven't did my svq yet but I'm on the list to do it. I've did dementia awareness, epilepsy awareness and am currently studying palliative care. Thanks in advance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now