Talk

Advanced search

Rowan blossom, is it just me or does it stink?

(13 Posts)
Pannacotta Sat 09-May-09 21:10:20

We have a small Rowan tree in our (newish) garden and I have noticed this week that the flowers seem to give off a rather nasty smell, which is sort of musky/putrid.

Has anyone else noticed this?
Wonder if its the particular type of Rowan or if I have an overly sensitive sense of smell....

pointydog Sun 10-May-09 19:03:24

oh I've never noticed. My rowan's flowers aren't quite out yet buy I'll give them sniff when they are just to see.

Pannacotta Sun 10-May-09 19:46:13

Please do pointy, have googled Rowan and smell and can't find any reference to it, so am wondering if my sense of smell is a bit weird!
Or perhaps it is the type we have, maybe some are more potent than others...

AMumInScotland Sun 10-May-09 19:58:19

Am I right in thinking that rowan flowers are a sort of flat collection of very small white flowers? If so, they are probably fly-pollinated, and therefore smell like the sort of things which flies like... which are generally not nice-smelling so far as humans are concerned grin

Pannacotta Sun 10-May-09 20:00:19

Yes they are quite flat a bit like Elder and I think they are fly pollinated, from my reading.
To me they smell of rotting meat, which really turns my stomach...

Peachy Sun 10-May-09 20:04:40

used to be known as stink weed when I was a child

therein is your answer LOL

OrmIrian Sun 10-May-09 20:06:25

No. But the wayfarers tree smells like semen. Quite vile.

Are you sure that isn't what it is? Has similar flowers and a similar habit.

Peachy Sun 10-May-09 20:10:32

Orm whgats the one they plant by Spalash? thast the Rowan lookalikey pongy one isnt it?

OrmIrian Sun 10-May-09 20:12:18

Yep. That's the one peachy. Tis beloved of town planners because it's pretty and hardy but begad it stinks!

Peachy Sun 10-May-09 20:13:27

Ah yes, stinkweed then.

rank stuff.

Littlefish Sun 10-May-09 21:37:14

Thank god for this thread. For years I have been telling dh that there is a tree near us that smells like semen. He thinks I am quite mad (as does anyone else I tell!).

At last, I know the truth. grin

Pannacotta Sun 10-May-09 23:20:13

Ours is definately a Rowan. And it does smell bad, at least to me!

ecnerwal Wed 24-May-17 10:00:19

Rowan tree.. yes it does smell - vile..... Luckily it goes
away after the blossom turns into red berries but until then ...
it permeates inside the house when doors/windows are open.
It does subside at dusk though smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now