Talk

Advanced search

Best Supermarket Gammon?

(7 Posts)
flissity Fri 13-Dec-19 17:00:01

Which is the tastiest? I did an Aldi joint yesterday (smoked) was not amazing and a bit dry really. Was only £4 ish.

Which supermarket ones are good? Obviously I know the butchers will have the best but just thinking about when I do my usual main shop. We always cook in slow cooker with tin of pineapple and some spices. Then have cold the next day... and next depending on how big! We do have gammon prob once a month I don’t know why I keep buying from Aldi when I’m not 100% satisfied!!

OP’s posts: |
msmith501 Fri 13-Dec-19 17:01:32

I often find its more down to how I prepare / cook them tbh. Lots of sitting in cold water to desalinate makes a difference before cooking. Most cheap gammon is over salty as they are injected with salt petre.

flissity Fri 13-Dec-19 17:50:59

Thanks. This wasn’t particularly salty. As it was cooked over 10 hours slowly covered with liquid!

HappydaysArehere Fri 13-Dec-19 19:14:01

I have used this method for years and people who eat it have enjoyed it and asked how I do it. Originally got the idea from Delia Smith.
Soak overnight. Then bring to the boil in a saucepan to “scum” it (get rid of all that white foamy stuff”. Put into roasting pan with some boiling water in the bottom. Loosely cover with foil (tent fashion). Cook until the rind becomes loose when you put a knife underbit and meat Is tender. Take out remove top of rind and rub a mixture of mustard and brown sugar into the remaining “fat”. Pop back into oven for a short time to brown the coating.

Redannie118 Fri 13-Dec-19 19:15:58

I slow cook mine in coke( full sugar) makes a huge difference to even the cheapest joints

HappydaysArehere Fri 13-Dec-19 19:17:45

Ps should have said I always buy unsmoked gammon.

flissity Sat 14-Dec-19 13:38:40

I have heard about Coke...

THanks for the ideas !

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »