Talk

Advanced search

Today I did wk3 r1 couch to 5k and I need to complete it this time !

(355 Posts)
Howlongtillbedtime Sun 12-Feb-17 21:41:31

For one pointless -excuse- reason after another I get so far and then stop .

This time I have signed myself up for a 5k in May so I have to do it now . I do enjoy it once I get into it and I really want to finish something for once .

If anyone has any hints tips or kicks up the arse spare I would appreciate it .

TheOnlyWayIsMN Tue 14-Feb-17 20:52:42

I need to get back on it too. Got as far as week 5 run 1 and then haven't really made it out since October

Howlongtillbedtime Tue 14-Feb-17 21:20:44

Do you want to do it again ? I am going to do wk3 r2 tomorrow ( couldn't bring myself to go back to wk1 )

We could kick each other .

Treysanatomy Tue 14-Feb-17 21:25:14

Today I did week 2 run 2 for the first time.

I've started at least 4 times before and never got this far 😀

Signing up for a 5k as motivation is a great idea, but I'd have to run alone and worry the other runners would pity me blush

BubbleWrapQueen Tue 14-Feb-17 21:26:20

Any groups near you? There's one near me that go out twice a week and it's great for motivation and goals!

Howlongtillbedtime Tue 14-Feb-17 21:29:32

No groups that I am able to do because of timings and also I am a big wuss about running outside .

Am on a treadmill at the minute . I live in a village and just can't bear the idea of seeing anyone I know . I am aware this is holding me back and a bit nuts but I can't seem to get past it .

BubbleWrapQueen Tue 14-Feb-17 21:58:26

I did it two years ago in a gym on a treadmill! I used the c25k NHS app and it was fab

Howlongtillbedtime Tue 14-Feb-17 22:02:03

bubblewrap do you now run outside ? And if yes did you find the transition tricky ?

waiting4inspiration Tue 14-Feb-17 22:52:07

Great to see some more on the C25K programme. There's a couple of threads on here and we're all at different stages - why not join us at www.mumsnet.com/Talk/exercise/2816315-new-year-c25k-anyone-care-to-join-me

Howlong - anyone who can run on a treadmill has my admiration - I hated it, always got very hot and sweaty and the tv monitors were usually turned to sport, so very little distraction! I remember my first run outside very well - I was terrified of being publicly ridiculed or humiliated, but after a few minutes I realised it was so much better than being on the treadmill that I didn't care!

Treysanatomy there's plenty of slower runners around on the ParkRun 5ks and lots of people walk/run. I've heard that those at the back of the pack are very friendly and supportive - and it's free! I keep thinking about joining one, but then I think about having to get up, out and ready to run at 9.00 a.m. on a Saturday morning and chicken out.

BubbleWrapQueen Tue 14-Feb-17 22:57:54

I did move to outside, and I do enjoy it. My first two or three runs I made someone (DP) come with me (he basically walked as I ran) but then I got braver. I went on GP maporama, and plotted laps and loops. ParkRun is an amazing one if one is local, even if you go once, to get your confidence. I found routes on strava as well to follow.

BubbleWrapQueen Tue 14-Feb-17 22:58:32

And my local ParkRun has 200ish runners. Ranging from 20mins to 55mins for the 5k

waiting4inspiration Tue 14-Feb-17 22:59:22

BubbleWrap - i'm using the NHS C25K podcast too although not on my Monday run when i'm out with a walk/run group.

Howlongtillbedtime Wed 15-Feb-17 06:38:32

Thank you all , I have actually registered for parkrun bubblewrap and my plan is to do it once I get to the 20min run part of the plan .

I am not normally such a wimp but this feels very out of my comfort zone. Will have a look at those threads thank you waiting

TheOnlyWayIsMN Wed 15-Feb-17 21:13:40

I'm going out tomorrow, I just walk to a very quiet park. Going to aim for a week 3 run too and see how I go.

TheOnlyWayIsMN Thu 16-Feb-17 19:38:18

I made it out - was torture though!

Howlongtillbedtime Thu 16-Feb-17 20:07:55

I am very impressed . How did you find it ?

TheOnlyWayIsMN Thu 16-Feb-17 20:29:54

Cross that I let it slide though I never found any of them easy. Will get out again on Sunday. When are you doing your next one?

Howlongtillbedtime Thu 16-Feb-17 20:49:50

I was hoping to go today but couldn't and realistically it's going to be Saturday .

I have had - have a stinky cold and totm to deal with but I am determined to get through this . And i have signed up for the 5k so I have to or I will look a fool !

TheOnlyWayIsMN Fri 17-Feb-17 18:38:43

Hope your cold clears quickly so you can get out tomorrow.

Howlongtillbedtime Fri 17-Feb-17 20:30:08

Thank you , definitely feeling better so going tomorrow .

Good luck Sunday .

TheOnlyWayIsMN Sun 19-Feb-17 20:20:57

I went for a different strategy tonight and jogged for as long as I could - 10 minutes. Longest ever before was 6 so quite pleased and think that I will aim to build on that on Tuesday night. Hope yours went well.

Howlongtillbedtime Mon 20-Feb-17 09:42:27

Thank you , it went ok but was a struggle . 10 mins is fab . I have downloaded the zombie run app and my plan is to try and brave the outside world this week .

TheOnlyWayIsMN Mon 20-Feb-17 10:52:07

star

standingonlego Mon 20-Feb-17 20:55:07

Come join us at parkrun smile

Howlongtillbedtime Mon 20-Feb-17 21:17:17

My aim is to do a parkrun once I get to running 20 mins . I don't want to look a numpty ! Or at least a bigger numpty than I will .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now