Talk

Advanced search

To find Iceland Bonus card rubbish compared to Tesco, Sainsburys and Co-Op

(18 Posts)
emptycoffers Thu 25-Sep-14 07:47:05

I go into Iceland about twice a week and spend £10-15 each time. A while back I was encouraged to take an Iceland Bonus card and thinking it was the same as Nectar or Tesco - points for every pound spent - I signed up.

A couple of months have gone by now and I haven't had a brass farthing out Iceland in return for sharing my shopping data with them - cos that's why they want me to use the card

Why have I had nothing back? Because Iceland (the friend of the hard-up shopper) gives you nowt unless you spend £25 on each visit.

So, they've had my data for a few months and they show no signs of tailoring their offers to me so I'm going to chuck the card away - have the marketing staff at Iceland (the brains behind this) never been to Tesco or Sainsburys? Do they not see how a good, professional, mutually beneficial rewards scheme should work? Where have Iceland been?

Stick your rubbish Iceland Bonus Card and maybe I'll try and spend my miserable, irrelevant £10-£15 in Tesco or Sainsburys.....and relax...

MammaTJ Thu 25-Sep-14 09:23:19

You get money off vouchers sent sometimes and use it to use the free delivery service. That's about it!

emptycoffers Thu 25-Sep-14 09:43:08

Exactly! I don't know why they bothered - can free delivery really be economically viable for them if I spend a £1 over the £25 limit?
It's not any kind of worthwhile incentive to me to spend more - I mean Jeez - I'm already in the shop! Maybe I should do it just to get my reward!

And the vouchers!!! They gave me vouchers at the till for 50p off items totally unrelated to my shopping.

I don't know what Iceland are thinking - treating everyone like mugs - Tesco and Sainsbury easily and regularly manage to send me vouchers for products I actually buy all the time - vouchers that are actually really worth real money to me.

And I've never seen Peter bloody Andre there either!!!

Or Kerry Katona for that matter.

And last time I wanted to know where my Mum was...

specialsubject Thu 25-Sep-14 09:56:44

you may have noticed that Iceland are cheaper. That's because loyalty schemes cost money.

suggest Aldi or Lidl. No loyalty schemes, no slebs in ads, lower prices.

MrsWedgeAntilles Thu 25-Sep-14 12:14:54

I've been given a paper card a few times but I can't see what benefits I'm getting from it. It seems to be more about information gathering for them than anything else.

QueenTilly Thu 25-Sep-14 12:25:52

You signed up for a card without even reading the little leaflet first? And now you're complaining that there aren't any loyalty points? Mumsnet is truly an education.

No, it's not a loyalty points card. Loyalty schemes cost money, and supermarkets raise product prices in order to recoup the costs. That's why Iceland sells many products cheaper than Sainsbury's and Tesco.

Instead, Iceland has lower prices and every time you swipe your loyalty card with a shop, you are entered into Iceland's prize draws.

QueenTilly Thu 25-Sep-14 12:27:49

Look!

Coffeethrowtrampbitch Thu 25-Sep-14 12:33:09

You aren't their target market. Their target will be people on a budget doing a weekly shop in excess of £25. Saving a fiver on a taxi home with their free delivery makes sense and is good value if you don't have a car, I live a 15 minute walk from my nearest Iceland and a taxi costs £4, so if I've bought too much to carry it home free delivery potentially saves me quite a lot.
I find my Nectar card next to useless however, as the point accumulate so slowly and the offers are not tailored to me, they are tailored to my local shop getting rid of stuff they have over ordered.
I have never even considered getting a Tesco clubcard as there isn't a nearby Tesco and their delivery service is very poor locally.

It's never going to work between you and Iceland op, their just not that into you grin

moxon Thu 25-Sep-14 14:29:24

I figure the only loyalty card really worth having is a Boots one. Although obviously it doesn't help with the food part. Unless you live off crisps and flavoured water. hmm

fatlazymummy Thu 25-Sep-14 14:48:14

I find my nectar card great, there again I shop at Sainsburys a lot, so the points mount up quite nicely.
I do get the odd thing from Icelands, I did have a reward card but it wasn't worth my while using it, because I only use Icelands for their special offers (I disagree about it being cheaper overall, at least not on the things I buy). It's horses for courses though, my friend loves Iceland and gets all her shopping from there so I suppose her reward card comes in handy.

emptycoffers Thu 25-Sep-14 16:24:41

@ QueenTilly - I know!!! I did - I'm recklessly mental sometimes.

@ Coffeethrowtrampbitch - you're right and it's a shame because I want Iceland to love my money just as much as Sainsbury and Tesco and show me some proper lovin' back but they're not playing ball.

I went there today and bought chips and ice cream and I didn't use my card - that'll show 'em!

They'll be sending me pleading emails soon.

concentrator Wed 07-Feb-18 12:01:56

Iceland is fab and cheap - Tesco and sainsburys certainly are not !
also - huge bonus - in Iceland there isn't any truly dreadful "music" playing as you shop - thus rendering concentration possible.
actually Morrison's is quite the worst shop for dreadful "Music"

BarbaraofSevillle Wed 07-Feb-18 12:18:33

You were a bit daft to not read what they were offering you and expecting it to do what you wanted.

I don't agree that the Boots cardis worth having as they are far more than 4% more expensive than buying your toiletries, baby items etc in supermarkets and discount stores like Home Bargains and Wilkos.

I thought the Nectar card was crap, but I got a good double up deal on Prosecco before Christmas and I've just got a load of points in this weekend's events, which I will save for the next double up on wine.

Agree that loyalty cards generally aren't worth the hassle as the rewards are small and most people would save far more than the rewards earned if they shopped in Aldi, Lidl, Asda, Wilkinsons instead.

Roomia Mon 13-Aug-18 19:04:55

The thing is that Iceland bonus card works differently. It's actually better than the club card or nectar card. This is how it works.
1: transfer some money to your bonus card. You can do this online or in store. Just give some cash to the person on till and tell them to save it to your bonus card or transfer money from your bank card. For every 20 pounds you save, you will get a pound extra to spend. For example you saved £100 to your bonus card, you will have £105 to spend at Iceland. You can spend the money in as little chunks as pennies. Just tell the person on the till to pay for your shopping from the savings. It's easy to pay too. The only problem is that you cannot spend the money saved to your bonus card anywhere else other than Iceland.
That's what I do. Its a lot more saving than Tesco and they also give other offers time to time too. Like sometimes they would say from this date to that you will get an extra pound for every 10£ you save to your bonus card. Other good things is that there is no time limit. You can spend this money any time sooner or later

Grumpyoldblonde Mon 13-Aug-18 19:33:38

You're not using it well. I used to shop there a lot and I think it's a free pound added when you add 25 to the card. I used to top up by say 300 a month in one go, get the 12 bonus added and use the card to spend that month. Sometimes they add a pound for every 10 so that was a free 30. Free money and if someone is on a tight budget the money is a massive bonus plus earmarked for food.

Don't live near one now unfortunately

Roomia Tue 14-Aug-18 09:42:20

They are giving a pound for every 20 pound since last year 😊😊. And if you spend over 20 in stores you get a free delivery. For online shopping they give free delivery if you spend 30 pounds though. You can still use it online. You can top up and use your savings online too. But you have to spend 30£ at a time to get the benefits

Neshoma Tue 14-Aug-18 09:47:56

Theres one near work I use at lunchtime. It's in the deprived area of the town.

I've never had anything from their loyalty card either and only took it out to please the cashier who 'sold'it to me.

The last time I was in there was a young child following his father (?) and calling him a bell end. Lovely.

GrumpyOldBlonde Tue 14-Aug-18 12:16:39

I've never had anything from their loyalty card either and only took it out to please the cashier who 'sold'it to me. It's not a loyalty card, it's a savings card

The last time I was in there was a young child following his father (?) and calling him a bell end. Lovely. - that could happen anywhere, it's not an Iceland thing - the last time I was there I was told my hair looked lovely - that's not an Iceland thing either.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: